SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Reaction score
Congratulations on completing your project, you must be elated! I'm pretty much in the same boat (pun intended) but a bit behind where you are. I'm completing a 4 year rebuild of my Alberg 35 and will be finally launching in July (knock wood). I still have a lot to do, but I can see the end of the list.

My project included re-coring 100% of the decks, rebuilding the cockpit, and replacing the wheel steering with a tiller. A ton of structural work and there were times when I was ready to throw in the towel, but I kept at it. Early on in the project I put together a huge list of to-dos and honestly, it made me sick. There was just so much it made my head spin. Around that time I came across a quote from Mark Twain that said:
"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex, overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks and then starting one the first one".
It became my mantra and while I still kept a list, I classified it into categories and then set it aside. As I tackled each project, I broke it down into tasks and then started on task 1. It has worked great for me.

One thing I would also recommend to anyone getting started with a project boat is to photograph absolutely everything you do because there will come a time when you have to come back to it and you won't remember the details without photos and a narrative (I keep a detailed blog). I took hundreds of photos of the boat before I even touched it so I could refer to them after I had torn everything apart and was able to reconstruct based on the photos.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.