SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just wanted to share a short HD video on the British Virgin Islands that I just finished.

British Virgin Islands HD "Voyage BVI"
youtube.com/watch?v=L2HXlcgfwKc&hd=1

I tried to capture the various iconic locations and the essence of sailing. This was filmed just last week! Comments and critique welcome, cheers.

Patrick

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
This video was posted on another forum I frequent. It was removed by the moderators as they believed it was too close to a commercial venture not to be a sponsor on that site. The OP and his brother are professionals that have a series of HD vids on their website and Youtube. Google Blue Eden if interested. Astute posters here have correctly observed that this, despite being visually beautiful and professionally edited, has little or nothing to do with sailing. If nothing else it appears to be an advertisement for the Moorings. Hopefully they didn't keep too much of the guys deposit after they wrapped a prop on a mooring ball.

I do not know all of the policies here but I would doubt the OP will be contributing anything to this site in the future other than more videos they have created that have nothing to do with sailing. IMHO the OP is not forthcoming in their purpose, "essence of sailing". Really?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm no professional and paid my dues in full to Moorings :) I just have a hobby of photography and sailing!

We got our sails up several times in the video, although with a crew of just 2 in low season we probably didn't raise sails as often as others might. But to me, sailing is more about just moving or raising sails, it's that whole experience of wind and seas. It's perhaps a lot of different things to a lot of people :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
He said: "I tried to capture ... the essence of sailing." That implies to me some sails in the air push/pulling a boat over the water. You can get travelogues for many idyllic places. They just have nothing to do with sailing.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Patrick, welcome to Sailnet. Nice work. I too have a D800 (e), since May,but I have not had a chance to play with video yet. May be I should expand my horizon. :)

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
I'm no professional and paid my dues in full to Moorings :) I just have a hobby of photography and sailing!

We got our sails up several times in the video, although with a crew of just 2 in low season we probably didn't raise sails as often as others might. But to me, sailing is more about just moving or raising sails, it's that whole experience of wind and seas. It's perhaps a lot of different things to a lot of people :)
Fair enough. Could you please elaborate and explain all the aspects of Blue Eden? I'm not normally so suspicious of a new poster.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Well, I'm stuck in Europe with cold weather outside and a sniffling cough from a cold and miss my boat in the BVI. I don't have sound on this PC but watched the video twice in a row and could pretty much identify every scene - including the underwater ones!

Wonderful job and now I'm homesick...

·
Registered
16,466 Posts

Congrats that's a very nice movie. As others have said it is not a sailing movie. It is not only your boat it is also the other boats that are always on anchor.

Don't take me wrong I really liked the movie and I hope in your next one there will be plenty of sailboats sailing. That's what guys like here. I am waiting for that one;)

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
407 Posts
Breathtaking beautiful! Just magical beyond words, along with all the other videos on your channel. Thank you so much for making these videos for the world to see! Happy sailing,

·
Registered
668 Posts
Very well done. A lot of moving camera shots. What did you use to control camera shake? What editing software did you use? Some have said the video does not show enough sailing and I would have liked to have seen a little more but to me the video shows aspects of what I envisage cruising life to be. A life I endeavour to live in the future.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Don't take me wrong I really liked the movie and I hope in your next one there will be plenty of sailboats sailing. That's what guys like here. I am waiting for that one;)

Regards

Paulo
He said it better than I did. I would really like to see that equipment and your skills really depict the essence of sailing. You hear it often here; "sailing is not about the destination, it is the getting there." So take us along.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
What's that they say, about the percentage of time cruising boats spend at anchor or moored? Maybe it's a cruising video, then.

Have any of you actually watched a Moorings ad video? Doesn't look anything like this.

As somebody who sails and dreams of cruising, this video captures the essence of whatever the hell it is I'm looking forward to.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,184 Posts
Excellent Video!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts