SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not sure about what your engine was before, but my Westerbeke M35B used to be a Universal. Also, the block is labeled "Kubota." Maybe yours is a Kubota, too.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
These companies got blocks from all over. My W58 was a Mitsubishi tractor engine block. Apparently these tractors where not sold in North America (too small?). I had no luck finding parts from non-Marine sources.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Last year I bought myself a couple of presents that I should have bought myself decades ago. THREAD PITCH GAUGES. Little metal tongues, like feeler gauges, but these are all the same thickness and have teeth cut in the sides of them. One SAE, one metric. All of about $5 each on Amazon because the big box hardware stores never seem to have them.

Now, I can interrogate a strange bolt or screw and force it to talk.(G)

Amazon is apparently planning to eat Grainer's lunch, with amazonsupply.com which started with their purchase of smallparts(.com) who were the quiet little mail-roder go-to source for all sources of widgets for many years. These were from the regular Amazon though, and any real auto parts shop should also have them on hand.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These companies got blocks from all over. My W58 was a Mitsubishi tractor engine block. Apparently these tractors where not sold in North America (too small?). I had no luck finding parts from non-Marine sources.
How did you work out the brand? where on the block should I look?
Anything that will be a dead giveaway?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
UP, Westerbleak [sic] happens to be infamous for being the engine maker that never makes engines. They contract out everything, and then just bolt 'em up and slap red paint all over. ALL over, including places it should never be.

Nevertheless they are popular. If you ask around, look around, you can always find out who actually made your engine block. NAPA stores tend to be experienced with this stuff, if you take them pictures & information, they often can get parts from the actual maker instead of WB.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
How did you work out the brand? where on the block should I look?
Anything that will be a dead giveaway?
I found it online but can't remember the source. It was quite a few years ago. The worst Westerbeke part was a double pulley that fit over the front of the engine, where the alternator belt goes. It was $560, for a damn pulley. The prices are ridiculous. For a next boat, if I go that route, I will be looking to keep away from Westerbeke and Volvo because of parts costs. Sort of a shame because I now know the W58 pretty well and it has been pretty reliable, except for a hunger for raw water pumps. You can get those a bit cheaper if you look around since it is a pretty generic part.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't install it. If I ever put my own engine in, it will be a tractor kubota. I can make my own exhaust elbow thank you. They also make universal heat exchangers, Thou I think I would do a keel cooler. Less sinking chance.

However my leaker has only 1100 hours, so it will be here a while.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Last year I bought myself a couple of presents that I should have bought myself decades ago. THREAD PITCH GAUGES. Little metal tongues, like feeler gauges, but these are all the same thickness and have teeth cut in the sides of them. One SAE, one metric. All of about $5 each on Amazon because the big box hardware stores never seem to have them.

Now, I can interrogate a strange bolt or screw and force it to talk.(G)

Amazon is apparently planning to eat Grainer's lunch, with amazonsupply.com which started with their purchase of smallparts(.com) who were the quiet little mail-roder go-to source for all sources of widgets for many years. These were from the regular Amazon though, and any real auto parts shop should also have them on hand.
Another good way to go is to purchase every nut/bolt combo you can get your hands on, drill a piece of steel, and attach them to the steel with a label of some kind. Then instead of using gauges you can just take the nut and bolt off and actually see if it will fit .. just don't forget to put it back, and don't use the nuts and bolts as replacements or spares except in case of emergency! :)

I like this because when you are fabricating something from scratch sometimes you just want to see an assortment of nuts and bolts and use them to decide which fastener you want to use for your project.

·
3,506 Posts
If the screw thread thing doesn't drive you batty, just wait until you need NPT fittings and all you can find are BSP.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Marine engine builders buy blocks from someone else. Perkins did the same as Westerbeke. You maybe able to use some Perkins parts. I have used their oil filters.

Just got to do your homework on the Mazda. There is a company in Winnipeg that parts out tractors. You could try them. If it is like my Mitsubishi it might not have been imported to North America as a tractor, I suspect because it would be a smallish tractor,better suited for smaller farms in Asia and Europe. I found a lot of mentions about my engine in England but none here. Also the tractor approach doesn't help if the parts are part of the marine side of the engine.

Do you have manuals for your engine? They can be downloaded from the Westerbeke site. One word of warning, the company has changed how they number parts, but it is possible to get the new part numbers if you know the old ones.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts