SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just called up the coast guard to report a floating beam in NY Harbor that I spotted while walking along South Street Seaport. The beam is about 18 feet long and 9"x9" and is floating right near the concrete wall, heading south at about 1/4 knot.

Here's where it is:
Google Maps

The USCG was very professional on the phone. I have to get back to working, so I won't be sure of the outcome. If they get it in time, no one will hit it.

·
Tartan 37C
501 Posts
Been there done that... We ran up on a telephone pole floating just under the surface coming out of Hell Gate a couple years ago. Quite the thrill, bow went straight up into the air, then saw it slide down the port side & behind us. No damage, other than some frayed nerves.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
This brings up a question. I often see references to the potential of hitting stuff in open water (e.g. - dropped container, etc.) and losing a keel, etc. Is this something to really be concerned about - or is it essentially the lighting-strike-odds kind of thing? And how do you guard against it?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I saw a telephone pole floating within a mile of the CG station in a busy waterway. They had no interest in going out to lasso it

·
19,489 Posts
This brings up a question. I often see references to the potential of hitting stuff in open water (e.g. - dropped container, etc.) and losing a keel, etc. Is this something to really be concerned about - or is it essentially the lighting-strike-odds kind of thing? And how do you guard against it?
In open sea conditions, it's very difficult to guard against such events, but they are also quite rare. Obviously someone sailing across an ocean is doing a lot of night sailing which makes things worse in that regard too.

Around our area such debris is the norm rather than the exception. Plenty of rivers and creeks coupled with logging and boom towing operations can leave some impressive amounts of floating debris - from small branches to full sized logs. The worst are the "deadheads", half sunken logs that are floating vertically just at the surface (or below).. have seen them as large as 3-4 feet across - hitting one of those square on is going to do damage to anything. We do keep a sharp eye, and I feel for the high speed powerboater who has to try to spot these things as they zoom along at 25-35 knots. Lots of boatyards get summer work replacing shafts and props and struts as a result.

Lots of the 'survival at sea' stories got started by the vessel hitting some large object at sea.. whales, containers, who knows....

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
they will put out a broadcast Notice to Mariners, so anyone listening on 16 will be told to switch to 21A and will be told of the obstruction. At this time of year, most of the craft will be commercial, and will probably hear it.

And no, I don't think the CG is interested in hauling logs. But they will tell you how to maybe not hit it.

And if you don't think the commercial craft around NYC are fully heads-up, we need only refer to the USAir ditching. They do listen, and they do respond quickly...

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
I feel for the high speed powerboater who has to try to spot these things as they zoom along at 25-35 knots.
I don't

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
:eek: :laugher :eek: :laugher :eek: :laugher

That's Superb!

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told I'd probably get a call back from the sector/division/whatever it was. I haven't heard back from them.

Do these things show up on radar at all?

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Giu -- ROTFLMAO - very nice! (Not a great thought, but I appreciate the sentiment, I think.)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Don't tell the hog. He will be all over this.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait, that brown thing looks familiar.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
Thanks to Wuffles, here we go.................

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
How long do you give it AJ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts