SailNet Community banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
This brings up a question. I often see references to the potential of hitting stuff in open water (e.g. - dropped container, etc.) and losing a keel, etc. Is this something to really be concerned about - or is it essentially the lighting-strike-odds kind of thing? And how do you guard against it?
You keep a watch and you think holistically about the weather. Consider that in the spring run-off, or after summer thunderstorms, rising or rushing water levels dislodge or tear loose all manner of floating debris, so the time elapsed from such an event and your distance from a potential source (a river with forested banks, a timber yard next to a creek) will give you a sense of why you should look harder.

I've called the Coast Guard a few times over the years, a couple for inverted picnic tables which could seriously damage a plastic boat. A couple of times have been from my Zodiac, because it's far easier to see (and to hit at speed) big branches in the water.

In the PNW and British Columbia waters, "deadheads" (waterlogged logs that float just below or flush with the surface) are the byproduct of timber moved on rivers: some escapes to be a hazard. If the price of wood is low or diesel high, beachcombers who usually harvest such logs won't bother; hence, the problem for yachters gets worse.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Whats the big deal?

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
Ahhh - Caddyshack. Classic.

"It's just a BabyRuth."
Looks more like an O'henry bar.. lots of caramel and peanuts!!:eek:

There is some serious flotsam in the great lakes right now, especially on the canadian side of the st clair. and on downstream. The Sydenham RIver was so high last week that they had to close the dam and divert it directly to the st clair. the floodwaters carried all kinds of logs, docks and various other nasties down the ditch and out to the St Clair.
I have only seen the dam closed 2x since the big ditch was finished in the early 80s.
I can't imagine the snowmelt and rain have been any kinder to other drainage basins.

Not a chance i would be out there in anything less than a thick steel workboat right now.
Of course if you like running over that kind of poop--- have at it!

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Alex,

Tooooooo Funny man. That drawing is great. Ha-Ha-Ha

MGM

21 - 28 of 28 Posts