22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
You're such an excitable boy.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
PBzeer said:
And we forgot all about Warren Zevon.
Now that's inforgiveable. WZ was a bit uneven on record but a great live act. Saw him not long before the cancer took over. One of the best semi acoustic gigs I've ever seen.

Randy Newman and John Cale are another couple whose recorded output tends to be spotty but are mesmerising live. (That could sound as if I saw them as a duet, not so.)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Speaking of which if you get the chance to see Keiren Kane and Kevin Welch doing there duo performance it's worth the price of admission.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Ah yes. Post Beatles my first big musical awakening was through the Blues. First up with the English funnily enough. I was in awe when I first heard John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with some young punk called Clapton on guitar, then Paul Butterfield (oh the players that went through his band, Santana, Mike Bloomfield, Dave Sanborn and lots more) then Robert Johnson and Sonny Boy Williamson.
Do you remember a thing called Super Session ? Al Cooper, Mike Bloomfield and Stephen Stills with a bit of help from Carlos Santana and Elvin Bishop from memory.
It's an interesting thing that many young kids in the sixties were turned onto the Blues by white Englishmen but there you go. (This is reading a tad strange, sounds like I'm saying all of these people were English. Not so)

Non Blues but I don't believe we've mentioned Neil Young or that icon of icons The Band. For shame.

·
10,851 Posts
Hey got to TV channel PBS..they are playing a large Country music concert...
PBS on TV..

Me I'm watching the Discovery channel..so I become smart as SD!!!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
What about all the guitarists that came through the Yardbirds?

·
10,851 Posts
tdw said:
You should be listening to your Mariza albums.
TDW...My Mariza????? You know her???? Outstanding!!!!

I tought you guys didn't like it because she sings Portuguese fado!!:confused: :confused:

MARIZA A GRANDE VOZ DE PORTUGAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ISTO SIM É FADO!!!

Check above link out to the end...it makes me tear the eyes....the very end!!!

Please please tell me you like her...please....for us its like a godess...

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Giulietta said:
TDW...My Mariza????? You know her???? Outstanding!!!!

I tought you guys didn't like it because she sings Portuguese fado!!:confused: :confused:

MARIZA A GRANDE VOZ DE PORTUGAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ISTO SIM É FADO!!!

Check above link out to the end...it makes me tear the eyes....the very end!!!

Please please tell me you like her...please....for us its like a godess...
Gotcha !!

To be honest Gui I'd never heard of her until yesterday when there was a clip of one of her concerts on TV. She is touring Australia this year so I guess I'd better get some tickets. Looks like it should be a great show. She cuts quite a figure on stage and I'm not just talking eye candy.

·
10,851 Posts
Did you open the link???

What do you feel when you hear it...I mean since you don't understand what she says, and what is Fado...

If you see her, it money well spent....she'r phenomenal..at least for us..

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Giulietta said:
Did you open the link???

What do you feel when you hear it...I mean since you don't understand what she says, and what is Fado...

If you see her, it money well spent....she'r phenomenal..at least for us..
The clip I saw last night was from the same concert. So much for short fat hairy Portuguese women. I have to say that Fado (using that clip as an example) is a lot easier on the ears than vocal Flamenco. Pretty much a kick arse bunch of players behind her as well.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
tdw said:
The clip I saw last night was from the same concert. So much for short fat hairy Portuguese women. I have to say that Fado (using that clip as an example) is a lot easier on the ears than vocal Flamenco. Pretty much a kick arse bunch of players behind her as well.
Which led me on to Amalia. I think I can handle this Fado stuff.

·
10,851 Posts
Fado means fate....destiny...and its a very typical type of song that only exists in Portugal where the singers sing in a very sad melancolic type of tone, about love, life, detah and such...

It dates back to middle age and its allways allways played with the Portuguese guitar....in it self a thing I can't describe..they cry..these guitars

Here's some guy playing it.

And here some more...again only in Portugal.

By the way..I grew up with the sons of one of Portugal's most famous "fadista" the singer of fados his name is Rodrigoi

AND HERE THE QUEEN AMALIA

this is my Country....enjoy

221 - 237 of 237 Posts