SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sweet on a 35' 1975 Fuji double headsail ketch. It looks to be in good shape and close enough at hand. Why don't I see it showing up in Mahina or other cruising boat lists?

Is it just an oversight or does this Japanese boat have flees?

To kick the tires I'll have to travel 500+ miles; is it worth it?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
You might think twice when you read Jeff_H's opinion.

"I have quite a bit of experience advising folks rebuilding a couple of these turkeys. I must admit that the brochure describes a very different boat than those that I was involved with. Frankly, these boats are notoriously poorly constructed so I would look to see:
-If the iron fastened teak into plywood over wood framing deck and cabin structures have been properly replaced using marine materials,
-whether the brass deck hardware has been replaced with bronze, aluminum or stainless steel hardware.
-Whether the plumbing, electrical and propane systems have been replaced with something vaguely resembling ABYC compliant installations.
-Whether the wooden spars have been replaced or reglued with proper adhesives.
-Whether the black iron tanks have been replaced.
-Whether someone has done a proper blister job using epoxy resin and cloth.

There's nothing you can do about the poor sailing capabilities of this design.

Jeff"

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm sweet on a 35' 1975 Fuji double headsail ketch. It looks to be in good shape and close enough at hand. Why don't I see it showing up in Mahina or other cruising boat lists?
Thanks.
It's spelled fleas, and yes it has them. Back in the 70's, when those boats, and a couple of other boats from the orient including some of the Choy Lees, were showing up in marinas, they became known as Tiawan Turkeys (not all were from Tiawan yards, but the name caught on). Boat yards that worked on them found that the builders cut every corner they could and used many substandard and possibly dangerous material substitutions.

·
Registered
594 Posts
On the not-so-good side, there was something about how the decks and coach-house were done (glass over wood) that didn't hold up, and I've heard of some owners having in invest significant funds and time to redo both.

On the good side, I did meet a very happy owner of one (having fixed the decks and house years before) who single handed her for months a year off of Vancouver Island and up and down Puget Sound (even to Portland, OR) to fulfill his off-shore fishing habits. He could really sail his Fuji 35, expecially with the ketch rig with the main down but the jib and mizzen up. Impressive-- he was good, and he liked his boat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll Pass

Cam, John, Jim,

Thanks for the quick wave off.

I think I'll move on. I don't want to use up my survey dollars on such a poor prospect.

I liked the size and the rig configuration and was just hoping it was built like a Toyota not a Turkey.

Score another save for the Sailnet community.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If you run away from it, it'll have flees... :) as for fleas...nah, not furry enough for them. Jeff_H's description should give you pause.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts