SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're scheduled to splash on Friday (I hope) so I was down at the yard doing the final prep work. One of the things we do is fire the motor on the hard for 10 minutes to make sure it fires alright and was bled properly. Today would be the first time we fired our motor since November 10.

Connect the battery, turn the key, push the button, motor catches in less than two seconds on the first try. My neighbor was impressed. Ran it for 10 minutes, good water flow, a just a hint of normal very light gray smoke, and it sounded nice and smooth. Upped the RPMs to 2000 for a few minutes and everything looked great.

Can't wait till Friday.

I hope everyone can get in the water soon and has a great season.

DrB

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 33 year old YSE8 is running almost before you hear the motor crank as long as the temp is over 70. That engine has several thousand hours on it with only normal maintenance and new gaskets and injector last year. Compression, clean fuel, and air makes it run every time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yanmar 2GMF here

I guess my 84 Islander was repowered by some PO with the 2GMF. I think that year and model came with with a Volvo Penta.

Anyway, after sitting on the hard for two years (luckily with a full tank of Diesel), that Yanmar fired up immediately last Autumn during the Survey. I was impressed at the time and wondered if it was fluke. It wasn't. The engine has fired up within 2 seconds every time I have started it since, even when the temp was only 60F. Not bad for an engine with no glow plugs.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It has its moments. Twice I had to bleed the fuel lines this weekend. :mad: That doesn't count the bleed when we replaced the fuel filter. Each time, after about 20 minutes, it started running erratically. It must be sucking air into the fuel lines somewhere, but darned if I know where. Now that I got my first good sailing weekend in, I'll have to look harder for something that's a little loose.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I guess my 84 Islander was repowered by some PO with the 2GMF. I think that year and model came with with a Volvo Penta.

Anyway, after sitting on the hard for two years (luckily with a full tank of Diesel), that Yanmar fired up immediately last Autumn during the Survey. I was impressed at the time and wondered if it was fluke. It wasn't. The engine has fired up within 2 seconds every time I have started it since, even when the temp was only 60F. Not bad for an engine with no glow plugs.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It has its moments. Twice I had to bleed the fuel lines this weekend. :mad: That doesn't count the bleed when we replaced the fuel filter. Each time, after about 20 minutes, it started running erratically. It must be sucking air into the fuel lines somewhere, but darned if I know where. Now that I got my first good sailing weekend in, I'll have to look harder for something that's a little loose.
I too have a 2GMF in my 84 Islander 30. I do believe it is the original engine though.
After sailing it for two years now with out any problems this past weekend while motoring into the marina it started loosing rpms and then died. I am assuming it ran out of fuel even though the guage is on 1/4 tank. I've never run it that low before. Actually in two years I have only put 5 gallons of fuel in it. When I did it did move the guage to around 3/4. So now my task for today is restarting it. I'm planing on first puting some fuel in the tank, checking the filter, try cranking it once, if it doesn't fire then start the bleeding process. Any Other suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
725 Posts
While your at it replace the filters if you have not that in awhile. I would also fill the tank.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I too have a 2GMF in my 84 Islander 30. I do believe it is the original engine though.
After sailing it for two years now with out any problems this past weekend while motoring into the marina it started loosing rpms and then died. I am assuming it ran out of fuel even though the guage is on 1/4 tank. I've never run it that low before.
Check your fuel filters for sure for signs of contaminated fuel and also check your fuel tank + pickup if you can. I had a similar situation happen last month, I was running the fuel tank lower than I ever had before and whammo dead engine. Turned out that contaminated fuel + fuel tank seriously clogged the fuel pickup inside the tank (which had a screen over it) and made a mess of every fuel filter on down the line. Something about running with a low tank level caused the goop ... which I should have discovered and cleaned BEFORE all this happened ... inside the tank to find it's way into the pickup.

I've since installed a fuel tank inspection port, completely cleaned the tank, replaced the pickup, and am in the process of cleaning most of the fuel components. No fun having an engine die at a bad time.

·
Coastal Traveler
130 Posts
I have a Yanmar 2gm in my H30. It hadn't been run for 18 months. I turned the key, pushed the button and it fired right up. They really are great motors.
Now if they could just put the dipstick where a human could reach it.

Dave

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a Yanmar 2gm in my H30. It hadn't been run for 18 months. I turned the key, pushed the button and it fired right up. They really are great motors.
Now if they could just put the dipstick where a human could reach it.

Dave
What? you dont have 8 foot arms and double elbows, give me a break.:laugher

·
Registered
152 Posts
After sailing it for two years now with out any problems this past weekend while motoring into the marina it started loosing rpms and then died. I am assuming it ran out of fuel even though the guage is on 1/4 tank. I've never run it that low before. Actually in two years I have only put 5 gallons of fuel in it. When I did it did move the guage to around 3/4. So now my task for today is restarting it. I'm planing on first puting some fuel in the tank, checking the filter, try cranking it once, if it doesn't fire then start the bleeding process. Any Other suggestions would be helpful.
Got it started :D. I took out the bleeder screw on the engine mounted filter (I had just replaced it in May and still showed no signs of debris on it), I used a Turkey baster to fill the cup through the hole. Then opened the injector lines, released the pressure valves and cranked the engine to get fuel out. In my service manual it said to do this with the throttle at full open. I did this with the water intake closed. After getting all the air out I would shut the pressure valves and try cranking the engine. It would not fire off. I repeated the process probably 6 to 8 times. Could never get it fire off even though there appeared to be no air in the lines. Finally I thought I would reduce the throttle setting to low, Tried it and it fired up. Opened the water intake. Restarted the engine (it fired right back up) and ran it for around 15 minutes with out a hick up. My only question is, is there a governor or something that kept it from firing off at full throttle?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts