SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a correspondent from Tribe Magazine and I'm currently working on a micropublication all about sailing. However, I'm in search of people's stories surrounding CULTURE - where have you sailed to, what was the journey like, how did you get involved with culture?

If you're at all interested in being published in this magazine, please give me a shout at seren @ tribemagazine . org (the spaces are due to me not being allowed to post a full email)

Thank you!!

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
You need to get in touch with the guys at Water Tribe. It's an expedition small boat crew that do a lot of long distance races in very small open boats (man portable). It's a whole culture wrapped around an almost crazy premise... Like sailing a 16' open beach cat circumnavigating Florida.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to get in touch with the guys at Water Tribe. It's an expedition small boat crew that do a lot of long distance races in very small open boats (man portable). It's a whole culture wrapped around an almost crazy premise... Like sailing a 16' open beach cat circumnavigating Florida.
Thank you for this, I shall check it out!

·
Registered
257 Posts
You want to learn my story? Show up early at the harbor, throw me the dock line and jump aboard. For 3 days we will share something that cannot all be taken in with words and on land....But I know:
1. Would love to but don't have the time
2. My editor expects this in xxx days from now
3. I live in a world that wants to understand voyaging/sailing, but does not have the patience for it.
No problem- I just thought I would give you the invite if you really wanted to understand what you are asking.

Attachments

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Please try a google search for "sailboat log", and/or "sailing blog".
There are a ton of cruising blogs on SailBlogs | Sailing Blog Hosting & Social Network which is but one of many blog hosting websites.
My boat blog is mostly about fixing stuff rather than cruising so I don't recommend it to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not surprising that ssk ignored Mike's question about compensation. Just another user looking for free material
Tribe Magazine doesn't pay any of its freelancers, everyone who writes and works for the magazine does it on a voluntary basis. Asking for people to submit their story is a chance for people to get published. I'm compiling over a 10,000 word micropublication off of my own back because it's something I'm passionate about. If you don't like the idea of writing for a voluntary cause, then you needn't comment!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much does Tribe pay its freelancers? I might be interested...
Hi Mike, sorry for not getting back to you. None of us get paid - it's all on a voluntary basis. A lot of us contribute to the magazine outside of our main jobs as it's something we really enjoy :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please try a google search for "sailboat log", and/or "sailing blog".
There are a ton of cruising blogs on (blocked link) which is but one of many blog hosting websites.
My boat blog is mostly about fixing stuff rather than cruising so I don't recommend it to you.
Thank you Caleb, this is really helpful! I'll get onto it :) Thank you again!

·
Old soul
4,549 Posts
Hi Mike, sorry for not getting back to you. None of us get paid - it's all on a voluntary basis. A lot of us contribute to the magazine outside of our main jobs as it's something we really enjoy :)
Thanks SSK. I understand what you're saying. If you're not making any revenue (no ads, no subscriptions), then it's a wonderful community donation you're making. Good on you!

We all give in different ways to the communities we love. People write here (me included) for free, even though we know it's not a not-for-profit. I get it. But as a professional writer I certainly can't afford to give away too much. Good luck. Hope you make it work.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry SSK, I am not sure I am buying it. I am having trouble thinking that you are doing this without any compensation whatsoever. There must be some work/experience advantage, or some other benefit.
If you are truly writing for free, then you can come on my boat all expenses (food, berth, port fees) taken care of, as well as an apology from me, a grumpy old captain.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Tribe Magazine doesn't pay any of its freelancers, everyone who writes and works for the magazine does it on a voluntary basis. Asking for people to submit their story is a chance for people to get published. I'm compiling over a 10,000 word micropublication off of my own back because it's something I'm passionate about. If you don't like the idea of writing for a voluntary cause, then you needn't comment!
How nice of you to try to shush me.
I will comment here as I choose.

I find it curious that you are passionate about sailing yet this is your only post to one of the leading sailing forums. Where else have you expressed this passion? Moms basement?

·
Registered
416 Posts
People tell me I should write up the maiden voyage of my little sailboat when the wife and a very experienced sailor friend(who is all his years never experienced a motor failure and had no idea what to do) had to be rescued by the Coast Guard after the wind died, the electric Min Kota fell off the boat(wife didn't tighten the bolts enough), and the Honda 5 HP died from ethanol gas poisoning. Forced us into a serious additional buying spree: later the Honda blew up near the dock, so needed a new motor altogether, bought a back-up Torqeedo, a replacement for the Minn Kota, and a rubber bumper for the dinghy to make it unsinkable, and very stable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A long time ago you could be paid for short stories or a novella I had one published that i got almost 75.00 for but that was way back in the 1980s now i understand it the model is you write for free and build up a portfolio and hope you get picked up as a staff writer. the internet has been a wonderful thing but has killed the magazine and pulp fiction industry. to SSK97 good luck but Hemingway lived the adventure then wrote about it. that being said I wrote Sci-fi and never ever did fly a starship

1 - 16 of 16 Posts