SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how we like to complain about "things" the PO (previous owner) did. Well I got a pleasent surprise today.

I have been wanting to use my Garmin 640 at the helm. To do so I needed to provide power there and have been dreading running the wire through the wheel pedestal and finding a route through the boat to the distribution panel. I finally "manned up" today and stopped at WM and picked up some wire to get started on the project.

Once I got to the boat I opened up the instrument pod mounted on the pedestal to get access to feed the wire in. When I opened the pod I find a 2 conductor wire marked "12 Volt" with female bayonet connectors. Hmmmm

I grabbed my meter and checked, 13.4 volts with the "Nav/Com" switch on the panel ON. Cool!!!!

I have no idea why it was there but it sure made this project go quick. :D

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
Very cool. Just be sure it was the proper gauge, with proper connectors on a sufficient breaker for all the loads. 12v electrical is the number one cause of boat fires, by far. Prior owner installations would at least cause me to trace it all back.

My PO was an incredible OCD type owner, which is very good. However, I just had to replace the electric waste pump on the head and found the installer used household connectors in the junction box. I don't know if it was a contractor or the PO.

·
19,488 Posts
We were fortunate to have had a very pleasant experience with our PO.. honest, open, and helpful throughout the process. We had some pleasant encounters post-purchase as well.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
sometimes they arent that bad! jaja

just like in newspapers you rarely hear the good news just the bad, its the same with po´s and boats...

so its nice that you posted something good about one as it will improve faith in those buying used boats...

I have been pleasantly surprised many times now on new to me boats...

cheers

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
Probably at some point most of us will be the "PO". :)

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
exactly!

honesty is what counts, both as a seller and a buyer...

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very cool. Just be sure it was the proper gauge, with proper connectors on a sufficient breaker for all the loads. 12v electrical is the number one cause of boat fires, by far.
It's fine. 14 ga is what was there, GPS uses 18 for power. I might trace it back to panel to put it on a separate switch.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I think if I ever meet my boats previous owner I would....well, I fpdomt know what I would do, but he has got to be one of the worlds greatest. Truly top notch. But no corners. Pleasure to complete the transaction with. Love him basically. If he was a girl I'd kiss him.

I have now owned five sailboats. Everything from the previous owner that has a moldy old unkept boat that acts like it's the best thing ever, you know the type. To middle ground, to one who stretched the truth a lot, to the last one, the Ranger, who was pleasant and helpful, but not overly so.

Hands down this new PO is the best.

·
2,449 Posts
The previous owners of my boat really didn't do much in upgrades or customization.

For that I am eternally grateful !

:D

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
800 Posts
While we're on the subject of POs, my boat has a long history and my immediate PO basically lived aboard for a year and upgraded nothing. His PO owned and raced her for 5 years. THAT'S the PO I want to talk to. How do you approach that short of stalking them? Is there an etiquette? Conversely, for all you POs out there, how do you receive these inquiries?

·
19,488 Posts
It's fine. 14 ga is what was there, GPS uses 18 for power. I might trace it back to panel to put it on a separate switch.
Are the plug connections currently opposite gender (to avoid accidental polarity reversal?)

Reactions: Noelex

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the plug connections currently opposite gender (to avoid accidental polarity reversal?)
Holy crap, I had never thought about doing that...simple and effective!

No they are not, but they are color coded red and black....hopefully I can get that right. :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
We dont talk about PO much, but we do talk about NO (new owner), like the NO take a nice boat, did all sort of mod and turn it into a dump! No beer for him! :(

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
While we're on the subject of POs, my boat has a long history and my immediate PO basically lived aboard for a year and upgraded nothing. His PO owned and raced her for 5 years. THAT'S the PO I want to talk to. How do you approach that short of stalking them? Is there an etiquette? Conversely, for all you POs out there, how do you receive these inquiries?
It's really easy to stalk if they boat is documented with the Coast Guard. I was contacted by the new owners of my wooden boat and was happy to hear from them and willing to help.

I didn't appreciate hearing that she had been severely damaged though. Etiquette says to be mindful of your previous owner's feelings. Don't tell them that the boat sank and don't tell them you painted it pink.

MedSailor

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I was stalked...jajaja I was in florida had sold my old wooden boat a while back and I was walking down the street and "met"

jajajaja

It was a good reunion however as he gave me a pic of the boat restored in white, made me cry...whereas I had refitted and fixed the boat for cruising, he did the gentleman thing and restored her to francis herreshoff status.

only to have the boat be destroyed in mid 2000s hurricane and demasted....

I do however beleive he restored it once again and sold the boat

it was taken to the east coast.

I wonder where it is now

aaaah the lives boats have if loved and taken care of!

peace

edit boat was documented btw.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
...of the boat restored in white, made me cry...

I wonder where it is now....
As a piece of friendly advice, I wouldn't wonder too hard, or try too hard to find her. Sounds like you have good memories. I'd say she probably continues to ply the idyllic waters and remains in Bristol condition and leave it at that.

MedSailor

·
2,449 Posts
As a piece of friendly advice, I wouldn't wonder too hard, or try too hard to find her. Sounds like you have good memories. I'd say she probably continues to ply the idyllic waters and remains in Bristol condition and leave it at that.

MedSailor
Yeah, someone told me they'd spotted my old Catalina 22 down on the Chesapeake and that she was really neglected and run down. I have fond memories of that boat and it still bothers me...sometimes you're better not knowing.

Reactions: Faster
1 - 20 of 25 Posts