SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all our spare time we have been able to get around things we've wanted to do for a while. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Nice work! How many coats is that?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work! How many coats is that?

Not counting the 4 coats of sealer, about ten. We started with Captains but ran out. So we tried Epifanes, but it was just too hard to work with, so we went back to the Captains for the last few coats.

·
Registered
267 Posts
With all our spare time we have been able to get around things we've wanted to do for a while. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
Before:
View attachment 136406
After:
View attachment 136407
Wow!!! In week, I start a month on my old Alberg 35. I've never varnished anything but if this August is like last year, I'll be at the dock a lot...August just isn't that great for sailing in the northern Chesapeake. What do you think about Totalboat's Halcyon varnish? I"ve seen some videos that made it look great and thinking of trying varnishing the interior woodwork with it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I like it on other people's boats, looks great, but increases the guilt I feel very time I look at my hatch boards. Insides are still perfect but outside is starting to look like your "before" pictures.

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow!!! In week, I start a month on my old Alberg 35. I've never varnished anything but if this August is like last year, I'll be at the dock a lot...August just isn't that great for sailing in the northern Chesapeake. What do you think about Totalboat's Halcyon varnish? I"ve seen some videos that made it look great and thinking of trying varnishing the interior woodwork with it.
Thanks for the wow. I have no experience with Totalboat's Halcyon varnish.

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it on other people's boats, looks great, but increases the guilt I feel very time I look at my hatch boards. Insides are still perfect but outside is starting to look like your "before" pictures.
It just takes a good old lockdown aboard your boat to get these things done.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,517 Posts
What do you think about Totalboat's Halcyon varnish? I"ve seen some videos that made it look great and thinking of trying varnishing the interior woodwork with it.
I used Total Boat's Gleem recently. It does not require sanding between coats, only takes between 4-6 coats and you can put 3 coats a day. I got 7 coats on in 3 days. The quality of the finish does not compare to Capta's work but I doubt i would have the patience to get 10 coats on, the old fashion way.
20200708_173021 (1).jpg

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,517 Posts
Not counting the 4 coats of sealer, about ten. We started with Captains but ran out. So we tried Epifanes, but it was just too hard to work with, so we went back to the Captains for the last few coats.
What does the sealer do for you? Did you bleach or treat the wood before sealing then varnishing?

·
Registered
21,800 Posts
Looks great!! I agree, there is nothing like real varnish. Although, 10 coats is part of the reason.

I take my varnish projects home over the winter and still find it difficult to set up a good place (dust, temperature, etc) to get them done. Very curious how you did so aboard. I've been tempted to top coat my cockpit table, in situ, but I swear I'd botch it up.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Looks great!! I agree, there is nothing like real varnish. Although, 10 coats is part of the reason.

I take my varnish projects home over the winter and still find it difficult to set up a good place (dust, temperature, etc) to get them done. Very curious how you did so aboard. I've been tempted to top coat my cockpit table, in situ, but I swear I'd botch it up.
I did mine at home on the kitchen table... dust is a huge problem... tack cloths are mission critical. Now it's flying dog hair!

·
12,236 Posts
I took my cockpit table home for the winter. Was able to work on it outside on our deck.
We also have some teak deck furniture.

8 years ago we compared three different products Captains varnish, Epifanes, and Cetol on three identical deck chairs. They all were pretty much equal in ease of application. They all gave very nice initial results the first year. The Captains required 10 coats , while Cetol and Epifanes require 5. By the third year the Captains varnish had darkened .
The Cetol and Epifanes lasted over 6 years and was easy to wash of dirt and dust. The UV inhibitors in those two seemed to protect the wood and color much better.

We decided on a Epifanes. Happy with easy of application and endurance as well as UV properties.

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does the sealer do for you? Did you bleach or treat the wood before sealing then varnishing?
Yes, with Snappy Teak. For us the sealer is just part of raising the grain w/o water.

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Prep work in the cockpit, varnishing in the forepeak, w/o the cushions (no carpet on walls), early in the mornings.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I did mine at home on the kitchen table... dust is a huge problem... tack cloths are mission critical. Now it flying dog hair!
I put my first coat on the table, and right as I finished a gust of wind brought a snowstorm of cottonwood fluff through my cockpit...

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,517 Posts
Darnit Capta,

I was going to just coat over the top of my tiller which is not pretty but has a working coat of varnish on it. Now I have to strip and sand it, because, wood is supposed to look pretty.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Would an annual single coat of varnish keep the finish look great "indefinitely" or would be be too built up? Would a good rub down with ScotchBrite be the prep needed on 1 yr old varnish which essentially still looks good?

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darnit Capta,

I was going to just coat over the top of my tiller which is not pretty but has a working coat of varnish on it. Now I have to strip and sand it, because, wood is supposed to look pretty.
Yeah, yeah, blame me. lol
"Why's everybody always picking on me?"_Charlie Brown

·
Master Mariner
8,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would an annual single coat of varnish keep the finish look great "indefinitely" or would be be too built up? Would a good rub down with ScotchBrite be the prep needed on 1 yr old varnish which essentially still looks good?
I think we'll keep our eyes on it and determine that as time passes. However, we are considering covers for when we are just sitting around like now. :(
The helm seat is coming along pretty well, too.

Reactions: CVAT and SanderO
1 - 20 of 27 Posts