SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got both books on-sale as WB for less than $20 combined. I would never have bought them because they have the 1980's look about them and black and white pictures. But after starting to read them I think they may be the best books I have. They have been updated in 2008 and 2009 and are amazingly complete over 1,800 pages.

Attachments

Reactions: bljones

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Good catch - enjoy.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Careful! The Dashew's are their own brand of cool-aid! Their ideas are extreme and sometimes very fringe, but are often presented as mainstream, or "the only logical way."

They have some great ideas because they ARE fringe, but read carefully because Steve doesn't present things in an unbiased way. It helps to know, for example, that even though he tauts all sorts of vittues of highly complex and extreme sail rigs, he now has "re-calculated" everything and finds it cheaper and more efficient to have a motor boat (which he has now). I think, more often than not, he makes the calculations fit the conclusion, not the other way around.

They are like the Anti-Pardeys.

MedSailor

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Careful! The Dashew's are their own brand of cool-aid! Their ideas are extreme and sometimes very fringe, but are often presented as mainstream, or "the only logical way."

They have some great ideas because they ARE fringe, but read carefully because Steve doesn't present things in an unbiased way. It helps to know, for example, that even though he tauts all sorts of vittues of highly complex and extreme sail rigs, he now has "re-calculated" everything and finds it cheaper and more efficient to have a motor boat (which he has now). I think, more often than not, he makes the calculations fit the conclusion, not the other way around.

They are like the Anti-Pardeys.

MedSailor
I sort of figured that out by the kind of boats he has owned.
They keep getting bigger and bigger. I think he is over 70' now.
I can only imagine how a couple of old timers can handle a boat like that. More power to them.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think, more often than not, he makes the calculations fit the conclusion, not the other way around.
MedSailor
Other than pure science I'm pretty sure that is the way everything is done most of the time.
Politics, religion, relationships, cars, stocks, most other purchases and of course boats.:)

We select the facts that fit our conclusions. Not necessarily the optimal method but most common.:)

I got a big kick out of his discussion of hydraulics. He said he installed significant hydraulic systems and removed them because of many issues he mentioned. So all this technology is a learning curve for everyone.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
These are the kind of books that have me ready to buy some form of tablet. Wonderful to have available as a reference but how many boats have the shelf space ? Fine if you are living on land but not for the liveaboard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts