SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The P stands for power boat.

To appease my wife and kids we bought a 19 foot ski boat this weekend. I am normally excited about boats, but this one makes me feel dirty ... And even though I will always prefer sails to stinkpot, I'm sure it will make our Tiger Lily sad. Now I have the task of keeping my kids on course for a lifelong love of sailing competing with this crotch rocket. Sigh.

Does anyone have kids that have a love of both (mine are 5 and 8 ... still young and impressionable)? I've already started to feed them lines like "pirates despise powerboats."

·
Registered
48 Posts
David,

My kids are 7 and 10 (boy and girl). We live in Abu Dhabi, and have been out on several powerboats---that's just about all they have here.

I just bought a 16' Topper Sport Dinghy because I have always wanted to sail. I was also worried about them not liking sailing...

Put my boy in a sailing course last summer and he absolutely LOVED it! He can't wait for the other classes. In addition, my daughter is crazy about the idea of living on a sailboat and going around the world---hopefully that's in the cards later.

When I pulled up with the dinghy on a trailer, they went ballistic! That boat was not parked for more than a few minutes before they were crawling all over it and asking when we could go out (Just as soon as I learn how to use the damn thing!). They even cleaned the boat when I can't even get them to clean their rooms. This summer we are going on a 3 hour charted sail in Santa Cruz, California, while on vacation.

They have seen and experienced both, but prefer the sail---which makes me very happy. Don't be sad to put them on the water...as far as I'm concerned, getting them on the water and making happy family memories is all that really counts, right? Isn't that why you bought it?

Mike

·
Senior Slacker
4,223 Posts
The P stands for power boat.

To appease my wife and kids we bought a 19 foot ski boat this weekend...
May Poseidon have mercy on your soul. (Remember what happened to Odysseus when he got on Poseidon's bad side?)

Reactions: dvuyxx and jimgo

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Now I have the task of keeping my kids on course for a lifelong love of sailing ...mine are 5 and 8 ...
Sorry, if you are buying a powerboat to appease them at the tender ages of 5 and 8, then your influence on them is greatly diminished.

You slammed shut that window of opportunity the first time you dodn't say "No! You're grounded!" the first time one said "Dad, can we have a powerboat?"

They probably saw the ornate box on the mantelpiece and asked mom one day, "What is that?" and your wife replied, "A sailor's testicles." At that point, they became powerboaters.

You saw the Star Wars movies, you know how tempting the dark side is at that age. *

*DISCLAIMER- this post, like all relationship observations and/or non-terchnical advice i make is intended to be lighthearted and for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to actual cold-hearted opinion is entirely unintentional and coincidental. **

**Unless you ride an 883.+

+ Okay, the disclaimer applies to that as well.

·
formerly posting as eryka
1,123 Posts
Sailor + powerboat? That makes you a "transvesselite." (Good luck with that)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Our kids (12 and16) grew up with powerboats. We even have a 3 seater Jet ski which is a blast for tubing and pure go fast adrenaline. We didn't buy our sailboat until early last year but they took to sailing like, well, fish to water. It is now our preferred family activity. I figure as long as we are doing something as a family that everyone enjoys then you win all around.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
"Luke.......feel the power of the DARK side"

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! What I think your kids will eventually learn is that powerboats are great as a way to get from point A (e.g., home dock) to point B (e.g., favorite fishing hole) quickly, or to pull a tube. And they can be fun to ride on, too, but after while the ride itself gets boring. On a sailboat, the ride is the fun.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I've got a 1955 15 foot Lyman runabout (maghogany). being bi-boatal is nothing to be ashamed of.
BTW, it's for sale.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, if you are buying a powerboat to appease them at the tender ages of 5 and 8, then your influence on them is greatly diminished.

You slammed shut that window of opportunity the first time you dodn't say "No! You're grounded!" the first time one said "Dad, can we have a powerboat?"

They probably saw the ornate box on the mantelpiece and asked mom one day, "What is that?" and your wife replied, "A sailor's testicles." At that point, they became powerboaters.

You saw the Star Wars movies, you know how tempting the dark side is at that age. *

I should clarify that is mostly for my wife - I am Yoda now trying to keep the kids from getting their hand light-sabered off or encased in carbonite. Hard lessons ahead there are.

Yesterday, my five year old said that he is still a sailor, and then we high-fived.

·
Administrator
5,922 Posts
...Yesterday, my five year old said that he is still a sailor, and then we high-fived.
That's awesome.

You could look at it as an opportunity to raise them as more responsible power boaters, ones who don't think they are the only ones who use the water. I see it as a positive that they have the opportunity to wear both hats.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
The Force be with you. (WIND force, of course)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hey, I think it's great. I grew up with a 19' bowrider and a 16' daysailor, as well as a variety of rowboats and canoes. From about 5 years old on, there were not many days in the summer that I was not on the water in some fashion. If it was calm, we would water ski, tube, wake board, fish... If it was windy, we would sail. Regardless of how a kid gets on the water, it helps build knowledge, respect and a passion for just being on the water. I went on to work at a marina during my summers in high school and college and all that experience on boats allowed me many opportunities to be on all different types of boats, both for working and pleasure.

My folks still keep a powerboat and I still love to get up to their place and use it when I can. They're about 1 hour away from our sailboat's mooring, so we cruise over and go for a spin. I'm not worried at all that my 4 year old will somehow like powerboats more. I just want him to like boats. Period.

·
Registered
406 Posts
After years od sailing we bought a power boat. Ended up owning three powerboats as time went on. We sailed as well. The last powerboat , a Boston Whaler Dauntless 18, was sold about a year ago. Truthfully, I kinda miss it. Great boat!!!

Boats were a means to an end - that end being a way for our family to enjoy spending time together. And to that end the combo of boats we bought as the kids grew up worked out great!!!! Now, as adults, the kids have little interest in power boats. But the Hobie 16 we still sail, that gets a workout every year!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts