SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My biggest obstacle to refit has been the rain lately. I couldn't pull the decks because of the rain since the very last thing ya want sitting inside a wood hull is fresh water. It turns out, one of my coworkers that went sailing for his first time last Summer, owns a farm with a large, empty equipment barn. It has electricity and is big enough to do the complete refit in, including pulling the masts, house, decks and cockpit out of the boat so I can access the entire hull. Yes, this is gonna be a complete restore/refit but I think it'll be worthwhile, especially with me documenting the entire process. I'm gonna have a surveyor come by while the topsides are off to check the hull. Then I'll have him finish the survey prior to launch. Every inch of the interior hull will be stripped and painted with a good epoxy. She's gonna be a sweet a$$ed old girl when I'm done.

·
19,489 Posts
Right on, Charlie - that's the only way to tackle a project like that.. Will it be close to home?

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I'll finish her. I've a good idea of what's ahead and that's why the decks are coming off. I'll be able to reach everything that way. I also won't have the EPA breathing down my neck for stupid things like sanding dust.

·
1,000 Posts
The reason I say this Charlie, is that I have known many many good willing folks that start a task like the one you are about to start, only to quit about 3 years into it...and no more boat...

These older things are not an easy task once you start tearing it appart....and the amount of work keeps building up instead of decreasing...

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Go get her Charlie! I have no doubt you'll knock this out. Hey, you ought to see Farmboy's yacht barn!

Keep us posted. She's gonna be a shameless hussy! Especially with her top off.

At some point, I'll try to get a case of beer out to you. Now get to work!

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen that happen too. The only way I'd give up is if the keelson itself was rotten. I've been able to access almost everything except directly under the fuel tank. I've been able to poke that area with a screwdriver and the wood there is still good. I just want to be able to recoat the hull interior with some good, modern coatings and verify EVERYTHING is kosher this time around. Besides, it'll be easier to R&R the engine with all of that stuff outta the way.

This will also make it easier to redesign the galley for Fredia and the engine room for me.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You could probably say the same thing about old boats as they say about old houses. It's like an onion, peel pack a layer and cry. Good luck Charlie.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
You get nothin' but love around here, Charlie. Nothin' but love. Of course you know that better than I do.

Just git 'er done, dude - and don't listen to these clowns.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'll take you sailing if you need a fix while you are working on her.

Good luck, Charlie!

David

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Sounds like it'll be a labor of love Charlie. :)

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love and Hate, two sides of the same coin? I guess that depends on the day doesn't it, when it comes to boats, cars etc.. Yeah, I'll either hit one of you PNW'ers up or put the little boat in the water for my fixes. Hell, I haven't been sailing since August but I need to get some foulies first.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Good luck Charlie-. It's going to be a LOT of work, but will all be worth it when you get to drop her back in and see the results of your labour.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
smack,

FYI, we have put CD on the ignore and boycott list, so you are NOT supposed to notice him etc.

For Charlie, we start racing in Jan at edmonds if interested.

Marty

·
Registered
117 Posts
Charlie,

I can't wait to see the pics. As you know, I got my start on an S&S classic wooden boat, so it will be really nice to see yours all done up. A barn that is all yours is the way to go. You can spread out and make all the mess you want, despite Smacky's ribbing :) . This is what he was talking about:

I can't even begin to imagine how much work you are in for. What we did really doesn't compare to what you're taking on, and we still found it overwhelming at times. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts