SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I screwed my furler in yesterdays strong winds. I partially unfurled it, sailed a bit, then furled it back up when it had some tension in the sail (not flogging).

Anyone with any experience of this type of furler and problem?

The furler is resisting turning as though it has a spring in it and very noisy. See

Here is a pic of what's inside through 1cm hole in drum. The image looks as though there are wires spiralling up over the forestay, wound in the opposite direction.

I would be guessing that I've messed these up by furling the sail whilst the furler was not straight (due to strong winds on partially furled sail under pressure).

Any thoughts?

· Registered
14 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may be right smj (and gladrags1); it does look suspiciously like that, doesn't it. That would also explain the 'spring-like' effect if a couple of strands have come loose and have become wound loosely between forestay and furler.

Looks like I'll be replacing the standing rigging. :(

Thanks Gladrags - will do.

· Registered
14 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. Spin and jib halyards backing up forestay now. Don't tell anyone, but the standing rigging is 30 years old! (I've only had her 18 months) Time to spend a few b.o.a.t. dollars on replacing that.

And yes, I will take the mast down at the same time, repaint it, fix the masthead light and wind instrument, replace the lights with LEDs, rerun the cables and stop them from clanking inside the mast! Seems I won't be sailing for a little while.

· Registered
14 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks celenoglu but I'm not sure that's the case with my old school setup. I think with this old furler the halyard is integral to the furler head and returns back down the furler extrusion and is secured to the body of the furler; so it rotates with the furler.

Here's the link to my write up of the re-rig fwiw: The Big Re-rig: Part 2 | Adventures in Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.