SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very keen on buying a boat but in South Africa the boats seem to be far more expensive than in the USA. Is this a misconception of mine or is it actualy so. I ask this as I have not actualy travelled to the States and so have not physicaly seen the boats advertised there. (is Florida the best place to look ? )
I would like to look at getting a yacht of about 36 foot or larger ( 38 to 42 ft) as I do want to cruise a bit and hence do a fair amount of blue water sailing and have about 20000.00 usd. Am I way off or is this posible ?
Your advice please.
thanks
Noel

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
YOu're not going to get a 38-42' boat for $20,000. Not one that is in decent shape anyways. Given your budget, you're probably better off looking at the 30-35' range, and closer to 30' realistically. I'd recommend you look at James Baldwin's Boat List to get an idea of some good boats to look at.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Better yet - send me your 20K and I'll put it away for you until you've had a chance to save up another 50 or so. Call me then and I'll help you look for a boat..... Tot siens :)

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
YOu're not going to get a 38-42' boat for $20,000. Not one that is in decent shape anyways. Given your budget, you're probably better off looking at the 30-35' range, and closer to 30' realistically. I'd recommend you look at James Baldwin's Boat List to get an idea of some good boats to look at.

I could argue with the above but in almost all cases, it's true. Save more money or have yourself some serious skills...

This is what twenty US dollars bought.

I sailed her home through a Force 10 storm without issue except for it being a wild, scary ride and sailed her for almost two trouble free years thereafter. The motor finally died (I knew it would) and this is what she looks like now during a refit.

and

So, unless you have a real desire to get your hands dirty and some skills to go with it, save more money.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd point out that restoring a boat to decent sailable shape is often far more costly than the price difference it would take to buy the same make/model boat in sailable shape to begin with. :)

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,101 Posts
I think the posters are right that $20K will only get you into a well found boat around 30'. As to where to look, should you actually come to the US, I would strongly advise looking in the Great Lakes and/or Canada, as the fresh water and short seasons are far easier on boats than the year-round Florida sun and salt water. A Northern boat will show 25% of the wear-and-tear of a Florida boat.

·
Administrator
9,179 Posts
Nait,

I actually researched this topic in 2001 when I was buying my boat. I was trying to find a Farr 11.6 (Farr 38) and had seen several listings in the USA. I began researching the same boat in SA since I knew that quite a few of them had been built down there. I found quite a few listings and generally they were way cheaper than I could buy them for in the USA. In the USA I found them listed for $52,000 to $68,000 USD. In South Africa the same years and models were listed for $21000 to $40,000 USD. There are very limited listings on Yachtworld for South Africa but I ended up connecting directly to a broker who had been recommended by Dudley Dix. The Broker that I worked with was great sending me a number of detailed listings and then answered detailed questions on each for me. I cannot recall the name of the broker but I think they were in Cape Town.

Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
I met a guy the other day who bought a ferro cement 36ft boat for 5, 000. He put a engine bracket on the back, bought a new OB and proceeded up the ICW to NY from Florida. Before going he painted the bottom with anti fouling paint ($160) and used house paint on the haul ($20.00) . Not my idea of cruising, but can be done.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forget if it was in PS last issue or the previous one but they did an excellent review of some older boats that would make great cruising or liveaboard boats. I suggest you start with that article.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts