SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Jeff. I am 32 years old, single, no kids, no immediate family, I own a drywall company in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. Work is getting harder to stay busy. Ever since I was a child, I have always dreamed of somehow getting a sailboat, nothing fancy, putting it on the Mississippi to head south, out into the Gulf and head out for the open sea to the unknown. Has anyone ever done this? I do not know how to sail but it is time for me to do this. I gave myself a time frame of 1 year to set sail. I want to know whatever it is I can to be at sea for extreme long periods of time. What to do when reaching foreign places, how has someone else done this and what their experience was. I dont know where else to go, so I am constantly online looking for ideas. I feel kind of stupid even writing this but who knows. Some say I am crazy, but they don't know where I have been, what has happend in my life for me to make this decision. It is just something I need to do. I've lived and worked on the west coast, surfed big waves too, east coast, Islands off of Florida. I am lucky I know a skilled trade of drywall so I can take this with me wherever I go.

·
Tenacious Pragmatist
13 Posts
follow your bliss

I'm doing the same thing. With only recent sailing experience and one year til casting off, I'm cramming full-time, learning all I can about everything. Determination can offset many obstacles; good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My advice to you Jeff would be read everything you can lay your hands on, but remember this, these so called experts.....who gave them that title...no one except themselves. There are no experts, there is no-one who knows everything, everybody is still learning....so just get out there and do it and more importantly enjoy doing it. The best of luck to you.

Hi, I'm Jeff. I am 32 years old, single, no kids, no immediate family, I own a drywall company in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. Work is getting harder to stay busy. Ever since I was a child, I have always dreamed of somehow getting a sailboat, nothing fancy, putting it on the Mississippi to head south, out into the Gulf and head out for the open sea to the unknown. Has anyone ever done this? I do not know how to sail but it is time for me to do this. I gave myself a time frame of 1 year to set sail. I want to know whatever it is I can to be at sea for extreme long periods of time. What to do when reaching foreign places, how has someone else done this and what their experience was. I dont know where else to go, so I am constantly online looking for ideas. I feel kind of stupid even writing this but who knows. Some say I am crazy, but they don't know where I have been, what has happend in my life for me to make this decision. It is just something I need to do. I've lived and worked on the west coast, surfed big waves too, east coast, Islands off of Florida. I am lucky I know a skilled trade of drywall so I can take this with me wherever I go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.