SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8,473 Posts
Reaction score
Dave, I know you like the guy- I find Mr. Siegel unnecessarily offensive and argumentative, and find the e-boat card system unnecessarily intrusive.* As far as the value of crowdsourcing goes, the input from one crowd has less value than the input from many, (for example,think you are going to get an unbiased opinion on android phones if you survey nothing but longtime iPhone users?) which is why i prefer to get input from a variety of fora rather than a single source despite Mr. Siegel's protestations that fora are inherently inaccurate due to the anonymity of the input. (yes i know I am stretching the definition of crowdsourcing) Quite simply, the larger the statistical sample, the more likely to get valuable results.

Sailnet is free, and we get to help each other as well.

* I know some find me unnecessarily offensive and argumentative, as well... I'm okay with that.

· Registered
8,473 Posts
Reaction score
So, in a creepily interesting turn of events, Mr. Siegel decided to comment on my blog.
Dock Six Chronicles: A Last Look At Last Year- The Dinghy Diaries: A New Beginning
Wow, if my mere expression of opinion is enough to drive a noticeable spike intraffic to AC that is so huge that the grateful owner sought me out to congratulate me and offer me a partnership(!) then either
a) I have much more social media influence than I thought
b) Sailnet has more influence than I thought, or
c) Active captain is a much less, er...active, than it's founder would like us to believe.

Thanks for reinforcing my opinion, Jeff.

· Registered
8,473 Posts
Reaction score
Jeff's personality has nothing whatsoever to do with the tremendous contribution of ActiveCaptain to the cruising community. It's a brilliant concept that in its simple elegance has changed the complexion of sharing information.
Ah.
Dave, I agree on the value of crowd sourcing, but what is the value of that input when the "owner" of the crowd has a habit of attacking anyone who disagrees with him? What does that do the the value of the input?
Further, if some can be banned from the crowd because of disagreements with the owner, as has happened in the past, then does that not skew the crowd, and make the data suspect?
I agree that AC could be a fantastic resource, with a different personality facilitating the crowd.

· Registered
8,473 Posts
Reaction score
I just had to respond before I got removed.

The arguments against me are typically personal. I don't attack anyone who is willing to have an honest debate about facts.

Exactly - what does that have to do with the value of the input? Do you think I change any of the hundreds of thousands of reviews and millions of user-entered data because I don't like someone?

No one has been banned from ActiveCaptain because of a disagreement with me personally. No one.

Banning happens because of an abuse or a threat of abuse. There have been some temporary bans because of a moderator banning me - happened here and was later re-instated by me. Interesting to point out that I'm still banned here (well, sort of I guess). Banning can also happen when someone is so rude that we feel they are not welcome in the community. Those are pretty rare. Actually, the number of banned people is about 10 out of 200,000. If that tilts the millions of pieces of information within ActiveCaptain, you're dreaming.

People hated Steve Jobs and thought he was an *******. He had a passion for his products and ideas. I'm no Steve Jobs although he's an idol of mine who I met and talked to twice. I have a passion too for my products and the changes they're making to cruising and the community. If that makes me an *******, I'd be in great company and would be honored by the label.
Thanks for your input here Jeff- sure beats stalking me all over the internet doesn't it?

Thanks as well, for, again, reinforcing my opinion, Jeff. You had the opportunity to change my view of you and your tactics,, and create an ally rather than an opponent. Instead, you take the opportunity to compare yourself to Steve Jobs, and position yourself as a misunderstood victim.

Amazing what a response a throwaway line in a post regarding coffee table books can generate.

Folks I apologize that this thread got hijacked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.