SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
it is a bit surprising that there are no true "coffee table" books about the ICW, at least that I'm aware of. Certainly no shortage of cruising guides, and there are many regional large format books about places like the Outer Banks or Low Country, but nothing that really focuses on the trip down the Ditch itself... The only 2 I know of are seriously outdated...

The first is SOUTH BY SOUTHEAST by Walter Cronkite, illustrated with the beautiful watercolors of Ray Ellis... this book will always have a special significance for me, having met Cronkite in Coinjock during my first-ever trip down the ICW...

South by Southeast: Walter Cronkite, Ray G. Ellis: 9780848705398: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@51dR9p7Sb0L

The second is probably the better of the two, a book done by National Geographic back in the 70's... It's quite nicely done, actually the entire Eastern Seaboard including New England is featured. Seriously outdated by now, but it still features the sort of photography for which Nat Geo has always been known, and gives a very nice feel for what it's like to head down the coast as a snowbird, and how the character of the coast changes from one region to the next. If anything, reading it today is seriously eye-opening in terms of showing how much has changed over the last 40 years - looking at the pic of a place like Bahia Mar in Lauderdale, for instance, it appears the largest yacht in there is somewhere between 50-60 feet... Nowadays, of course, one might see yachts in Port Everglades with tenders of that size :)

America's Inland Waterway: Exploring the Atlantic Seaboard: Jr., Allan C, photographed by James L. Amos Fisher, colour photos: 9780870441288: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51dGUtEl%[email protected]@[email protected]@51dGUtEl%2B3L

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.