SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Isn't what you're describing any one of the printed ICW cruising guides? I often grab my On the Water Chartguides book for the ICW when something crosses my mind.

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
This isn't specific to the ICW, but just an idea to throw out there. When we went to the BVI, wherever we anchored/moored I put our lat/long, a description of the anchorage, and whatever restaurant we ate at on the corresponding guidebook page. That way, we'd have it when we return and when we aren't there, flipping through the book and seeing my notes brings back good memories. I plan on doing the same with my ICW guidebook. During the winter it's nice to look back as well as forward.

Reactions: 34crealock

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Er, coffee table book, please. Perhaps the discussion about the merits of crowd sourcing could move to another thread. Worthy discussion as long as it's not about bashing anyone, but let's not derail the OPs thread.

Reactions: Jaramaz

· Premium Member
5,936 Posts
Reaction score
Jeffrey Siegel (really) said:

No one has been banned from ActiveCaptain because of a disagreement with me personally. No one.

Banning happens because of an abuse or a threat of abuse. There have been some temporary bans because of a moderator banning me - happened here and was later re-instated by me. Interesting to point out that I'm still banned here (well, sort of I guess). Banning can also happen when someone is so rude that we feel they are not welcome in the community. Those are pretty rare. Actually, the number of banned people is about 10 out of 200,000. If that tilts the millions of pieces of information within ActiveCaptain, you're dreaming.
Normally I wouldn't do this, but I can't let his statement go without context. First, let me point out that at NO time in this forum or to anyone in person have I bashed Active Captain (even after having my account deleted by Mr. Siegel in retaliation for him being banned from SailNet). I believe it is a fine product and good for the boating community.

I do, however, take issue with the owner and I can separate the owner from the product.

It is inaccurate that he doesn't ban anyone who disagrees with him. Several SailNet users were banned from using Active Captain because they did not agree with him. One, who was not registered with AC but had even been willing to pay for the service, was told not to bother registering.

Mr. Siegel was originally banned from SailNet after we had an exchange where he let it be known that he deliberately stirs the pot in forums because negative publicity and controversy drives people to his site. I get that. It's marketing. I don't care for the practice but, that's just me. During a civil exchange about using SailNet in that way and why I thought it was wrong, he also got into an exchange with another member during which he disclosed that member's full name from information he retrieved from his own database.

I considered that an invasion of privacy. When members register with SailNet, whatever information they put on the initial registration I consider confidential. If any member wants to give out his or her name, that's up to him or her, not the moderators. This member did not publicly provide his full name in this forum.

So, Mr. Siegel was banned because he was using SailNet to promote his company without being a paid advertiser as well as for violating the privacy of a SailNet member. In addition, one of the other rules is about causing moderators to spend an inordinate amount of time responding to reported posts. We were getting complaints from all corners.

If someone is a contributor to the forum we don't ban without a lot of discussion. But all of what I mentioned above coupled with the fact that almost every post he made was negative towards SailNet and its members didn't make it a hard decision.

Today he has violated our policy about having multiple user names. Unlike Mr. Siegel I respected his decision that I "didn't deserve to use Active Captain" (his words) and I did not attempt to register under a different name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.