SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cash strapped as most folks are now, I had an idea. Since so many homes are going into foreclosure, I thought there just had to be lots of boat loans being defaulted on as well. Is there a website like Sailnet, or other great location for finding a sailboat that got repo'd? Or a sailboat auction down here in SW Florida somewhere? I'd like to buy a liveaboard cruiser, trans-atlantic capable, 39 to 49 feet LOA. I'm starting to see 30ft racer/daysailers now in the $7500 range, so even the retail market is starting to look a lot brighter for me. I hope I'm in the right place for this, if not I sincerely apologize. Thanx for any direction you can provide :) -ken

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I had the same thought. Seems like folks would rather sell their boat themselves instead of having it repo'd and their credit scored dinged. I've been watching YachtWorld and Craigslist for such ads but apparently sailors are a more cautious bunch. Once the banks take them back they seem to want top dollar for them.

I did find a C&C 36 on Craigslist Miami that might be worth a look. It's too far from me. The current owner is a car salesman.

Good luck.

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Texas sailing has some deals. Also, if you have a friend with similar dreams, you can look into co-ownership. Split everything down the middle, and you just doubled your bank account.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rodger dodger, i bet ebay gets a pretty good list, thanx :)

i thought about the co-ownership thing, but i think i'd like to try living on it for a few years with my girls, do some traveling. i can't see paying a mortgage or rent over the next few years anyway, things are looking really crazy right now, we'd like to get while the gettins good. :)

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Get back to us when you find something interesting to you.

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
Around here, maybe there too, marina's don't like "for sale" signs on boats.

Many may be quietly/discretely for sale.

Check with marina offices. They put liens on boats too!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Perma, You should hit the boat yards and marinas, I'm seeing for sale signs on boats every where I look. I'm on the east coast of florida . but I'm sure it got to be the same way were you are at.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow, those are great ideas, thanx! i never even thought of stopping by the marinas. i could probably leave them with my number and such too, that way if anything comes up they can contact ME hehe :) i could make up some little business card things with my contact info on it and leave it with them. liens, yeah, makes a lot of sense. i see a lot of for sale signs popping up now myself, great time to buy, thanx everyone for all these shopping ideas! :) -ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts