SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
I'll make a wild ass guess:
$62,500

Are they good? Yes they are very good CCA type boats. Lots of chopper gun construction but thick is good. They were great desingns for the day.

Kind of like THE DAVE CLARK FIVE.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I'll make a wild ass guess:
$62,500

Are they good? Yes they are very good CCA type boats. Lots of chopper gun construction but thick is good. They were great desingns for the day.

Kind of like THE DAVE CLARK FIVE.
I can just it, all boats become known metaphorically by their musical equivalents. 'Oh, the Carib 37. It is a real BARRY MANILOW'

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
I considered a Columbia 43 a few years back.

I think most of the big Columbia's of that era (43, 57) had a deep draft with an iron ballast fin keel and a spade rudder. Bob would know better, but I think they were rather an extreme type of design for the era.

If you're considering purchasing one, I would be concerned about the keel bolts as I was told they were stainless steel which does not do well underwater and will corrode over the years; expensive to replace too. Galvanic action could be an issue also with the iron keel.

The 43 Mk II was a limited production model with a lead fin but, again, probably had s.s. keel bolts. Not sure if there was a Mk II for the 57.

If there aren't any issues, she could be a roomy family boat with very nice performance.

Billl Tripp was a good designer but killed in a car accident in the '60s or early '70s. His son is now an active designer, I think.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
It's a 43 - I owned one. The 57 didn't have the extrusion H joint for a hull/deck joint.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
No sign of an aft cabin either.

When I had my 43 there was a 57 - Lioness - that hung out in the same yard. One of my all time favourite boats. Gawd it was gorgeous - in perfect condition too. It came from that era of spade rudders with trim tabs on the back of short keels and three concentric steering wheels - really stupid technology.

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Don't recall three concentric wheels. Do remember two. I think in those days there was still some saillors suspect of spade rudders. (like today?) I have heard that the trim tabs did not really work but they were the rage for a while. But the IOR penalized them as an extra movable appendage and most got fixed to avoid the penalty. I have onlly sailed on one boat with a trim tab and it was fixed so I can't report on their value.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
Here's a couple of 57's. They were part of the same design family as the 43 but there were lots of differences - the lack of an H-joint for the hull-deck joint being the most obvious unless you can see the whole boat - it was twice the size of the 43 - the ballast alone almost equaled the 43's displacement.

Attachments

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
Jon:
Those boats marked Tripp at the top of his CCA game. I can only wonder what he would have done with the IOR. As a kid Trip was my favorite designer. I love the strength and confidence in his hull lines. I wrote him a "fan latter" but he did not reply. Then he was dead.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
He was one of my favourites as well. He even died with some style, killed in his XK140 Jag.

It was a shame he never got to do any IOR boats - I'm sure they would have been interesting and good looking.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
Don't recall three concentric wheels. Do remember two. I think in those days there was still some saillors suspect of spade rudders. (like today?) I have heard that the trim tabs did not really work but they were the rage for a while. But the IOR penalized them as an extra movable appendage and most got fixed to avoid the penalty. I have onlly sailed on one boat with a trim tab and it was fixed so I can't report on their value.
I suspect the little third wheel was simply a friction lock so the tab & rudder worked in unison.

Ridiculous complication, even if it HAD worked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts