SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help identifying this jib furler.
It's on an Ericson 27 that I just bought.

Clearly, the lower bearings have popped out, and the drum has lifted off the bearing race, which is now rusted.
I might try to replace the race/bearings, if I can ID the furler and find parts for it...

Any advice here?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
That's an old hood furler. I don't remember the model off hand. I can look it up for you tomorrow if you want.

When you dig into it. You are going to find that the bearing is frozen and corroded into the drum. The cir clips

have rusted away and the entire frozen bearing has been spinning on the wire allowing the system to continue to function.
Both the drum and halyard swivel use steel sealed bearings.

They should be serviced once a year. Sadly, most people never do that and they usually end up looking like yours.

Your furler is probably 25 years old at least.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
That's an old hood furler. I don't remember the model off hand. I can look it up for you tomorrow if you want.

When you dig into it. You are going to find that the bearing is frozen and corroded into the drum. The cir clips

have rusted away and the entire frozen bearing has been spinning on the wire allowing the system to continue to function.
Both the drum and halyard swivel use steel sealed bearings.

They should be serviced once a year. Sadly, most people never do that and they usually end up looking like yours.

Your furler is probably 25 years old at least.
I was hoping Knotty would see this one. I figured he'd have seen it.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
knothead,

excellent - thank you!

next issue: are there bearing parts available for these, or should I replace the entire thing?

I have a new-in-box Hood continuous line furler that I could install, but I'm not sure that I want to move away from a single line/drum system...

·
Admirals fav target
229 Posts
Give up on trying to get any information from Hood. I had a continuous line furler that took a big dive and after multiple e-mail and phone attempts over a months time I gave up and bought a furler from another manufacturer. I should mention that the other manufacturer has been outstanding and the unit was so easy to install that I did it my self in about 3 hours.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
knothead,

excellent - thank you!

next issue: are there bearing parts available for these, or should I replace the entire thing?

I have a new-in-box Hood continuous line furler that I could install, but I'm not sure that I want to move away from a single line/drum system...
Yes, the bearings are stock bearings that you can pick up anywhere. The aluminum piece that the bearings ride on is a different matter. I doubt that you could find a new one. Personally, I think you would probably be much happier (and safer) to install the new one. I doubt that the wire has been replaced in more years than you want to think about, and the old system will never work as well as the new one. It would actually be a lot more work trying to fix the old one as opposed to just installing the one you have.
If you anticipate having to reef very much, it's an easy matter to get a single line drum from Hood to replace the continuous drum.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
I would second installing the new system you have just sitting there, and replacing the forestay while you're doing all this. This will give you a much more reliable system overall.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I would second installing the new system you have just sitting there, and replacing the forestay while you're doing all this. This will give you a much more reliable system overall.
It would be the low cost option for a new furler but if it were me, I'd e-bay the Hood for whatever I could get and go for a single line unit that would allow reefing.

I have the Hood continuos line unit and think its junk. I am just trying to nurse a season or two more out of it while I address more pressing issues, before I replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm

the lack of reefing ability with the Hood continuous line unit is of concern, otherwise i'd be installing it right now...!

unfortunately, it's a Hood 705, for which Hood does not make an upgrade kit...
S.O.L.

i might have to go the EBay route, as suggested, and pick up a SL unit somehow...
i think the continuous line furler would work well on a staysail or a drifter, but not on a primary foresail/genny.

thanks to all for the ID help and the advice!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Hmmm

the lack of reefing ability with the Hood continuous line unit is of concern, otherwise i'd be installing it right now...!

unfortunately, it's a Hood 705, for which Hood does not make an upgrade kit...
S.O.L.

i might have to go the EBay route, as suggested, and pick up a SL unit somehow...
i think the continuous line furler would work well on a staysail or a drifter, but not on a primary foresail/genny.

thanks to all for the ID help and the advice!
The drum unit for the 700 and the 705 are completely interchangeable. I don't know if Hood is still offering an upgrade deal or not (they used to). But you could certainly purchase a single line drum.
The continuous line system is reefable as long as you keep both sides of the line tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.