SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to identify and find a source for one of these idler sheaves. It is a 4" sheave and the only identifying data in the casting is FIG or PIG 404-4.

Can someone identify the brand and/or lead me to a source of old boat hardware. This item was replaced on one side of the steering cables with a swivel type sheave that is unsuitable for the application (chafing, etc).

The sheave is factory installed on a Columbia 45.

Thanks

Doug
CIMG3017 (Medium).JPG
CIMG3020 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
going to hard to find the Fig 404-4 refers to a columbia drawing. you can try Edson marine Wire Rope Sheaves & Assemblies
Also try Minnies Yacht surplus Minney's Yacht Surplus they are near the home of the Columbia yachts. send Eric a picture and see what he says. do you need the whole thing or just the sheave.
I would not even look just fab one out of stainless steel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going to hard to find the Fig 404-4 refers to a columbia drawing. you can try Edson marine Wire Rope Sheaves & Assemblies
Also try Minnies Yacht surplus Minney's Yacht Surplus they are near the home of the Columbia yachts. send Eric a picture and see what he says. do you need the whole thing or just the sheave.
I would not even look just fab one out of stainless steel.
Need the whole thing. It was replaced with a part that is not appropriate for this application due to the design. I have looked at the Edson site and do not see any offset assemblies like this.

Thanks for the tip on MInney's. will give it a try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. There is no way to modify the existing swivel block. The cable chafes on the bottom of the housing. It is clearly the wrong swivel for this application. In searching the marine suppliers I have been unable to find block assemblies that have the sheave offset from the mounting frame. In this application, the frame is attached to a bulkhead the the sheave is located below the bulkhead to accept the cable.

So far, it appears that I will need to find the original part somewhere or will have to have one custom machines to approximate the same geometry. I am somewhat anal about the steering system having no possibility of jamming during use.

I sent an email to Binnies as was suggested in an earlier post and got a automatic reply message that he is closed during the months of July and August. Was not a comforting message as I will be taking a month off work to get the boat seaworthy so that it can be sailed down the west coast.

·
Administrator
9,162 Posts
At least in the picture, that looks like it is cast iron, which suggests that it may not have been a Marine part.
If you can't find a stock part replacement either from a marine or non-marine sources, you might be able to buy a sheave from McMaster Carr. McMaster-Carr

Or, if it was my boat, I would have a company like Garhaurer custom fabricate it with a stock wire-rope in a welded housing.
Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply Jeff. After spending hours searching the internet, it appears that having one custom made of SS might be the quickest solution unless someone magically comes up with the identical part. The unique part of this design is that the sheave is offset from the center of the mounting plates. This allows the steering cables to wrap around the sheave while the frame/mounting plate is fastened to a bulkhead above the cables. I was surprised to not find stock parts of this design.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Willing to bet a custom part from Garhauer will be less expensive than Rig Rite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts