SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if I take the grab rails off of the top of the cabin will they go back on or is there a chance the screw holes wont hold the screws tight when I put them back in. In past projects, not on boats have I removed screws to have them never go back tight. Aluminum is a good example. I was wondering if this goes for boats as well. I also would like to remove the frame pieces around the cabin entry. From your XP have you run into screws not going back tight on boats? If so whats best option for re fit without drilling new holes?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If the decking hasn't been compromised, they should go back in snugly. Sometimes the next larger diameter screw is all that it takes.

But with that said, handholds should not be screwed into the cabin top. While it was common in the 70's and 80's, it's not a good practice. You could take this opportunity to through-bolt the handholds using butyl rubber tape as a sealant.

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.