SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
99% landlubber, 1% sailor
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone.
Not a lot of representation here for Lake Huron, so I thought I'd post.
However, if you are a Huron sailor, or have just passed through, stop and say hi.
I don't actually qualify yet, as I have only so for been on the lake in a powerboat, (I know, I know, it's a tragedy) But things are changing, and I will be out there sailing for sure by May, based out of Sarnia, Ontario.
Hope to see you around!
-Paul:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes another one of those powerboaters converted we will take over!!! welcome and its great to see another person that wants to go sailing

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I have sailed on Huron, HI!

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought home a Tanzer t29 from Chicago in mid-November. Hasn't seen water in a year. I'll be getting it ready over the winter. It's stored outside, so much of the work will have to wait until it warms up a bit. Until then I'm networking and meeting new people and learning about sailing by books and videos. I also found a number of sailing simulators to keep me occupied. I cant wait to try it out!!
See you on the water!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Learned to sail on Lake Huron. Used to sail North Channel/Georgian Bay every year 1994-2001. Lots of great time up there. Sailed Saginaw Bay & River out of Bay City. Sailed all around the Caseville - Port Austin shore. Almost died there too...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Can you keep the boat on the lake instead of on the river? lots of current to fight every time you want to get out to the lake

·
Registered
801 Posts
Been on St. Clair and Huron in other kinds of boats before. so... HEY!

(I'm originally from the Southern French City of "Daatwwaaa" (Detroit).)

:)

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm looking at Lake Huron Yachts for a summer slip. It shares the same access to the Lake as the Sarnia Yacht Club, and is better fo sailboats fo rhtis reason. Saves about 45 minutes fighting the current under the Bluewater Bridges. It'll be 5 or so yrs before I can get into the Yacht Club.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
mod
is that in the small bay just east of the river, with the mouth of this bay facing north into lake huron?

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
mod
is that in the small bay just east of the river, with the mouth of this bay facing north into lake huron?
Looks like thats the one Ed.

Nice location Modul.
How is it when a North Wind is blowing?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I figured that was the spot.

I've been wondering if that is the place to stop for customs check in when coming up the St Clair river and deciding to cruise the Canadian side.

Mod
I'd be interested in how deep the water is there and whether anchoring is OK in the harbor, at least temporarily.
Might be trying a push up to tobermory this summer if I can get the time.

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
For Canadian Border Services Agency offices in the region, go to Directory of CBSA Offices

I don't know if Lake Huron Yachts has transient slips, but Sarnia Bay Marina does for sure.They also have a pool and laundry and a little restaurant.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh yeah
Sailing a Chrysler 26 out of AuGres, Saginaw Bay, Michigan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello and welcome to the sailing addiction.We have sailed from Lake Erie

few times via Lake Huron to the North Channel. Good luck and have fun
Ellinor

·
Registered
315 Posts
We've sailed our CS27 out of Bayfield Ontario for a few years. It's a great sailing community but we are moving to the Georgian Bay side of the Bruce Penninsual this season to be closer to the glorious north channel and to anchorages reachable on a weekend. The long haul (110nm) from Bayfield to Tobermory seems to take half our precious vacation time and recently it has been uphill and against the wind both ways. :rolleyes:
Does anyone know of a local boat hauler in SW Ont / Bruce Penninsula who could move our vessel sometime in early May?

·
Registered
109 Posts
CS27
We used Andrews to go from Bayfield to Toronto ('06) and Toronto up to GB('08). They were on time, secured everything well, had no damage or problems.
For the record they felt that both hauls were to far to take her on her cradle (which suited me just fine) travel lift was used to load and unload in both cases on/off an air-ride trailer, cradle and mast were shipped on the same truck at the same time.
It was NOT inexpensive.
Make sure you call your insurance company prior to shipping. Our insurer covered the trips at no additional cost, but it is not part of a standard policy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts