SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Aspiring to be a Mexican
543 Posts
My wife asked me that question...

I said I want to go where the weather is warm, the food is good and cheap, the surf is perfect, and there are topless brown girls on the beach.
She agreed.
I can't tell you exactly where that is yet, We need to go look for it with our own eyes, but I'll let you know.
It's south of here, I know that much.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
We will eventually be on the east coast of Scotland. Not ideal, but necessary. A bit cold and the sailing isn't as good as the west coast, but its not too far from France. Some beautiful sailing on the French coast...

If I could be anywhere, I'd have a hard time saying no to Greece.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Our goal is to return to the Philippines. This is where my wife is from, and I love it there. 7107 islands, and most uninhabited just waiting to be cruised. The Phils are extremely diverse from weather such as S.F.'s summer cold to extremely hot, and humid. There's 6 months of cruising time. To avoid typhoon season I prefer to live up the mountain away from heat & humidity. The living is inexpensive, and just about everybody is brown.:laugher ;) ....lololol.....i2f

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Bahamas! Great water, great diving, great fishing, protected waters, good access to stateside quality services and food, nice people. Only problem is hurricane season...not many places to hide!
Alternatively...Turkey has a lot of appeal as well with great water, good weather and prices, and access to history the Greek isles and the whole Med.
But there are lots of places I haven't seen yet too!! Some of my favorites are in higher latitudes but I couldn't do that year round on a boat.

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess this is not a subject that very many people think about, but it's interesting that two people have mentioned Greece or the Greek Isles...we have thought about that also since my wife is Greek.

I've always wanted to try out the South Pacific, but I don't think that's going to happen...but maybe the Greek Isles would.

It would be interesting to hear from people that have done the Greek Isles.

·
Flying Dutchman
10 Posts
Well, I`ve done some of them at least.

The people are very nice, the scenery is breathtaking. Prices are cheap, but getting more expensive every year. In summer it tends to get very busy with charters. There are not many "full service marinas" on the islands, but there are several in the vicinity of Athens, with airtravel connections to the rest of the planet.
All in all a pretty good place to spend your time afloat.

For the moment I`m going to keep my boat in Holland however, as they keep promising us this global warming thing.....:D

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
I want to hang out on Greece for a couple of reasons. One being that Greek food is just about my favorite- simple, healthy and oh so delicious. I could eat it every day and be happy.

Secondly, we have good family friends who are Greek and return to Greece every year to visit family. If their large family is any indication of typical Greeks, I could easily get along with them for many years and never be bored.

The third reason is the sheer volume of historical sites to explore.
And finally, it would be a great place to improve my bouzouki playing skills!

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,970 Posts
New Zealand. The trip getting there wouldn't be bad either:laugher

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm liking Central America. Not sure which coast. Costa Rica, Panama, maybe Colomia. I love the language and the food. Many parts are inexpensive as well. We would be within reach of the entire Caribbean and South America as well. Can you see my smile now....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
West Coast of Florida. Plenty of good sailing, reasonable access to the Florida Keys, Bahamas, & Caribbean. Great beaches. Top of the line facilities and now with the housing bust, one can get a house in Isle of Capri for a reasonable amount and keep their boat behind their house.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guatemala. Beautiful in the Rio Dulce for hurricane season. When leave and back to salt water all the fresh water growth dies. Belize nexst door with the second largest coral reef in the world giving protection while checking out beautiful islands. On the other side is Honduras with Roatan, great diving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wrong internet ?

If you were going to live somewhere else on your boat besides the U.S. where would you go?
damn did I connect to the U.S internet again? ;)

Being in Australia going anywhere is a fair odyssey so I think alot of my enjoyment will come in the journey.

Permanent mooring would have to be Malaysia / Thailand (esp. phuket)

I just love the photo's of Phang Nga Bay.

check out
Cruise Phuket - Gallery Page 6

'twould be awesome!

·
Advanced beginner
599 Posts
Another vote for Turkey. Beautiful country, cheap food, lovely culture. And you can easily throw in Greece while you are there.

Also another vote for Portugal. A lovely country.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I considered agreeing with a number of the locations above, but none of them compare with "none of them". I would stick with the plan that's been good for us the past seven years, cruising to a higher latitude in the summer and a lower latitude in the winter. Many excellent stops at both ends and in between! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

1 - 20 of 26 Posts