SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Freedom Chip Counter
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our Tartan is ready for a new control panel, the trouble is after quite a bit of online searching I haven't found a good source for options!

I may not be searching the correct term - ignition control panel, diesel control panel, starter control panel?

The exact replacement is shown in a great photo from Maine Sail's website (image below). I'd be happy if I could just come close to the correct tub size.

We'll be replacing the gauges, ignition, starter and glow plug buttons - purchased to fit.

·
Freedom Chip Counter
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark!

I've even thought of laying up a small fiberglass panel / tub using a 3D printed blank as a guide..... not too difficult, but just one more thing on the to do list!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I second Front Panel Express. I've had a number of custom panels made by them. The software is very easy to use and the results are excellent.

·
Freedom Chip Counter
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I second Front Panel Express. I've had a number of custom panels made by them. The software is very easy to use and the results are excellent.
Quick question, what material do you use? Thinking aluminum would be nice, but also thinking it may be subjected to more corrosion than the acrylic.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quick question, what material do you use? Thinking aluminum would be nice, but also thinking it may be subjected to more corrosion than the acrylic.
I used AL only so far. The panels that I made had openings, holes, as well as text and even a small color graphic on it. it's holding up very nicely after 2 years.

The problem (as you suggest) will be corrosion where you mount switches and stuff that is stainless (where the stainless and AL contact). I made little plastic gaskets to insulate the stainless switches etc from the panel, and used tefgel for the mounting screws. Seems to have worked just fine. But acrylic would eliminate that concern altogether.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Our Tartan is ready for a new control panel, the trouble is after quite a bit of online searching I haven't found a good source for options!

I may not be searching the correct term - ignition control panel, diesel control panel, starter control panel?

The exact replacement is shown in a great photo from Maine Sail's website (image below). I'd be happy if I could just come close to the correct tub size.

We'll be replacing the gauges, ignition, starter and glow plug buttons - purchased to fit.

View attachment 137933
I just finished redoing my own. I had a Westerbeke Admiral panel that had seen better days. I bought 12X12 1/8" G-10 from McMaster Carr, cut out the holes and painted - kept the same size as the original to fit. I also changed the configuration to make it easier to see and eliminated the ignition key - moved to inside the cabin.
Link to the G10 and buttons are below. I hope you'll be able to reuse the tach to keep the engine hour count intact (pun intended).
For the push-button momentary switches, be carefull - don't buy the one without the metal ring on the rubber, as they are not waterproof. They are Cole Hersee part number M626-02 (the 02 means waterproof). If tou are buying new gages, make sure they are compatible to the senders on the engine.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,489 Posts

·
Freedom Chip Counter
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all!

I'm leaning toward the Front Panel Design vendor that Mark and Bob suggested. I've downloaded their software and started toying with different designs. Gives you the price as you save your design...seems most run $64 to $100 for 4mm aluminum. Will definitely isolate screws, switches and gauges. I'll post a photo once its completed.

·
Registered
113 Posts

View attachment 137933
You can easily find such gauges, switches etc. online. They are all standard in the automotive and generators industry. Although not for the engine panel, I’ve just replaced all my tanks (diesel, water(2), holding) gauges and sensors with digital displays that fits the exact same places of the original.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts