SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
I am new and I know I have a lot to learn. I have owned a few boats nothing bigger than 26' all of them power boats. I have a chance to buy a 1982Vagabond 42 in very good cond. and have a slip for it now. I have never sailed before so I am curious if I am nuts for doing this. I will be retiring soon and plan to live aboard. I want to clean it up as it needs cosmetic work but everything else looks good and works. I am having it surveyed before I sign the bill of sale. The plan is to live on her and learn to sail then when I feel confident take her out. Is this a crazy plan? I don't know but I've always wanted to live on a boat and learn to sail and things are just coming together and feel right. I'd be interested on comments from the forum. Thanks and I am glad to be a part of the forum.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,647 Posts
How well you know boats can be a disadvantage in things like this.

This "1982Vagabond 42 in very good cond" makes me wonder.. how do you know?

A boat that size and age pretty much has to be surveyed possibly just for the insurance so it is good you are having that done. It's also one of the leaky teaky family if I'm not mistaken.

You can learn to sail by your self I did. or take lessons. I'm always amazed that people will hundreds of thousands for a boat. and not a penny one learning to sail.

Belated welcome to Sailnet!

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
I also feel new and learning keeps that feeling going. Even if you have hundreds of miles and many boats it is the next mile or boat purchase that counts.
You seem to be going big. For some folks that is the way to go and it might work out wonderful for you.
I am going a little smaller You can buy and sell a smaller boat with more ease than a larger boat. This is letting me gain some skill. A class then puts my skill to the test and judge What needs improvement . I am trying to crew on a variety of boats. They can be so different and without a rule to go by or a way to sample, I would feel like buying a pig in a poke.
I like posting and reading threads to see how my views evolve and change with time and new knowledge . Reading lets me see how others are able to find success.
Please keep posting, learning ,growing.
Kind Regards, Lou

·
S/V Calypso
246 Posts
Welcome aboard. There is lots to learn here and about as many opinions as quills on a porcupine. Don't let any one person discourage you. That being said, with a boat as large as the one you are talking about, I'd consider taking the whole gambit of ASA classes and have someone experienced with larger boats spend some time with you learning to do even the things you would consider simple (like docking). Mistakes can be amplified with larger boats.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts