SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals...happy 2014! Its been CRAZY...had a death in the family and just LIFE in the last 6 months. Well its calmed down enough to FINALLY be able to get some quality sea time. It was my birthday, I took a 5 days off of work, told my wife I wanted to go nowhere and do nothing but relax and sail. So thats what I did. Sail, and learn! I was on the water 4 out of 5 days. Heres what I learned...

Day 1: AMAZING conditions. Wind was maybe 9 knots and the sea state was calm and flat. Wonderful sail, nice and peaceful. Great way to start my stay cation.

Day 2: Thinking it would be similar to the previous day...but no! Wind, 16 knots, calm sea state a tad bit of chop. I was out and enjoyed it, but in one word OVERPOWERED. Probably the first time I have been overpowered in the boat. I had the 155 genoa on the boat, and its been on only for maybe 6 months, right about the time, life got crazy so I have not had a lot of sea time with it. My normal sail is a 125. Tacking with a 155 in biggish wind singlehanded was not fun...sloppy tacks and LOTS of winching. I was rusty!

Day 3: Back to calm winds and calm sea states. No issues here except my sea legs are back and I am pretty comfortable now with the 155.

Day 4: BIG wind, 16-18 knots, choppy seas. Still have the 155 up, but instead reefed it in a bit to maybe a 135. Great call...the boat was Well composed, tacks were a breeze, boat was fully powered yet easy to handle. Averaging 6.5 to 7 knots. Funny thing. My buddy and I were just talking and sailing on a comfortable tack out of the harbor, on a close reach. We looked up and started seeing a boat in the distance on the same tack ahead of us...well it was getting closer and closer...I noticed it was a new 36ft cruiser. It was heeled over and it was getting tossed around...My boat was locked in and cutting through the chop...and reeling him in fast...as we passed him, my buddy said, "theres nothing fun about a 40 year old 30 ft boat passing you in your new $200K 36 ft boat..." good stuff....

All in all great sailing, learned a lot in a short period of time....now on to the mods and upgrades this year...still have the TackTick/Raymarine wireless system with the NMEA Wifi for the boat. Thats the next major thing!

·
Chastened
4,860 Posts
Sorry to hear of the death in your family. Hopefully the rest of your year will pass more smoothly.

Glad to hear that you're getting some serious wheel time. We're just gearing up for the season here, on the Chesapeake after the worst winter in a long time.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family. As for the rest of life, well, it always seems to decide that the plans you had weren't really what you wanted to do anyway. Or at least that's what happens to me quite often.

Sounds like you had a great several days; glad you got to enjoy yourself!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.