SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,671 Posts
I almost dropped 40K on a Catalina 36 in Baltimore harbor. but the floorboards were screwed down, the engine wouldn't crank, the boat hadn't moved in 2 years, electric heaters were still on even though not making heat in the middle of summer, there was still a frying pan in the sink clearly it was a "let's get out of Dodge" type of situation by the owners. The broker rep claimed to be a friend of the owner kept trying to get me to buy it without a survey & sea trial called me a week later after told him I might go 29,500 I hope this is not the one you're looking at although it had the potential be a very beautiful boat. I did not buy it now I have a hunter 34 which I got for 26,500

nothing wrong with a standard rig. you'll be happy with it and you'll be motoring on the bay in midsummer anyhow when the winds die off, air conditioning would be the biggest advantage to have, unless you really really love hot hot humid stagnant weather.
So it's a buyer's market, don't be shy about going lowball.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,671 Posts
This couldn't be the same one. It has signs of being used but not "rode hard and put away wet". Also, the broker has sold the boat to the last 3 owners. It's lived on Lake Michigan most of its life and has been in Oriental NC for the past 2 years. The broker basically insisted that we get a survey or he might not deal with us. Husband and wife team that displayed absolutely no pressure. Great people.

Standard rig... I've been informed by an acquaintance that has owned Catalinas and several others that the tall rig with a shoal draft keel might make me unhappy in the long run.

Buyers market?!! I've been under the working impression that the buying frenzy over the past year has solidly put the seller in the drivers seat. Am I wrong? We offered 20% below asking price. Owner has 24 hours to respond.
I may be wrong on the buyer's market thing but it's my own perception, probably not true.

The thing about survey & sea trial, once you plop the money down for that, everybody assumes you're buying the boat, so be very sure before you make that decision. And it is contingent at the lowest price your offering and problems you've already discovered before the survey. I went on record saying I would walk if I was really unhappy. in the end I finally did buy the boat but I was prepared to walk if I couldn't get a straight answer on the bilge filling up. (Which is actually okay, I might add at this point in time)

You could have a real battle for a lower price than your offer with the price after survey especially if it's with a broker because every penny eats into their commission.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts