SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Found a boat that claims to be like an Optimus or a Sabot. A tub sailer... but without an official brand.

I was hoping someone could take a glance at these sailboat pictures and let me know if there is anything suspicious going on with this boat. I don't know any sailors so it's hard to make this first purchase alone that's why I'm reaching out to the community.

I feel like the sail looks a little weird= hanging low and not reaching the top of the mast. The pic makes the boat seem like the hull is an Optimus and the sail belongs to another boat... Or maybe this sail doesn't fit the mast? Or maybe there is nothing suspicious at all. IS this boat looking okay?

Any thoughts on this boat would be helpful I've exhausted my research online and there is nothing quite like the words of a human expert!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
What is the HIN ?
Where is the boat located?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the HIN ?
Where is the boat located?
BC Canada, dunno the HIN but I'll ask if he's got one... I've recently been told this boat isn't good for adults. SO maybe that's an issue. Too small. I'm a beginner tho. so maybe it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I can tell you it is not an Optimist or a Sabot. I remember seeing one like that several years ago at boat show. kind of a multi purpose dingy but can imagine it is a good sailing boat. looks like a cheap sailing rig with a small sail, some dingys have more than one size sail that is used on the standard size mast, like a kids and adult size. Sabot or Opti is a bit small for an adult but can be done. I sail one with my Grand daughters to teach them, but it is not a comfy ride. look for something in the 10 to 14 foot range which is a good size to learn with.

·
Super Moderator
4,780 Posts
I don't think it's either a Sabot or an Optimist. The sail looks similar to a Sabot sail.

A boat that size can sometimes be car topped to the beach, though I can't tell from the photo how heavy it is. If car topping (or the back of a Pickup up) is not in the plans, then I might look for something a bit bigger. If car topping is in the plans, it might be an okay option.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,829 Posts
At first glance that looks like a Boston Whaler Squall. Most of the Squalls came with lateen rigs, but some had sliding gunter and others had Bermuda rigs. It looks like mainsail has not been fully raised and it looks like the outhaul is not fully tensioned. That said, if the walestake is molded in, then that is not a squall. The reality is that there has been a bunch of companies who have built dinghies over the years, and each have built their own version of their better mousetrap. Some of these dinghies were literally built in the tens of thousands, Others had maybe 1 to10 of them built. Other than the resemblance to a Squall, that does not look like any other design that I can think of.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts