SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone knows any stores and/or websites that would buy used charts of the northeast coast of America and southeast coast of Canada from 2008. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I Don't think you will have any luck selling out of date charts if i were you i'd donate them to a Sailing school for training purposes
sorry

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I Don't think you will have any luck selling out of date charts if i were you i'd donate them to a Sailing school for training purposes
sorry
On the contrary. I have bought a dominant portion of my charts over the years used and out-of-date. Many (maybe all) shipping lines replace charts regularly with the latest and their discards are in perfect shape. A quick update from Notice to Mariners and they're definitely good enough for cruising sailors.

Unfortunately I have no need for the charts on offer here nor can I offer any advice on who in your area would buy them but I wonder how many cruisers always buy new charts.

There is and always has been a market for decent quality used (read out-of-date) charts

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Ebay or Craigslist

You could sell them either way. Good deal for both parties and you may even be surprised. You could start with what you believe the minumum value and get offered more.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I stand corrected but the charts i am using are for commercial vessels so they are new every year.
sorry for possibly misleading you and thank you for correcting me omatako and chal

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
How old is out of date? 2008 doesn't seem all that old to me. How often do you all buy new charts?
A lot of the charts used even by shipping lines today are predominantly made up of observations by Cpt James Cook!!!

The majority of changes to charts are navigational stuff (lights, bouys, etc), not reefs, islands or geographical stuff.

I still use coastal pilots printed in the '60s and mostly they're still good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts