SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, has anyone here ever actually met someone thru these forums?
What is it that you hoping to find?

Friendship, companionship? (Platonic)
Dating?
Long-term relationship?
Marriage?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't use these to actively seek out anyone other than meeting friends with common interests, or that may be nearby to meet up and say hi. I'm sure that things for other people may progress beyond that, and hey, never know when that might happen for anyone. I guess it depends on what you're hoping to find though :)

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
I've met a lot of nice people in person through this forum but I think if you're looking to "hook up" there are more targeted sites through which to do that. SailNet isn't a Craigs List and doesn't seek to be, and it isn't trying to compete with Match.com.

·
bell ringer
5,036 Posts
Between the various forums I know of only 1 couple who met up via forum postings beyond a "crew" post.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no, I'm definitely not looking to 'hook-up'.

Just wondering about single sailors meeting single sailors....

Sure, I socialize at my local marina, most of the sailors there are married.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
Well if their wives aren't into sailing, they won't be married for much longer. :)
I disagree... My wife isn't into sailing, and I am quite happily married... she actually paid for my first boat before we were married!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Google " sailing for singles" or something like that. was posted a while. back inna similar thread

·
Full time cruiser
542 Posts
SO, has anyone here ever actually met someone thru these forums?
What is it that you hoping to find?

Friendship, companionship? (Platonic)
Dating?
Long-term relationship?
Marriage?

I think there is a single sailing group around you someplace but not sure - I was a member of one when I lived in Miami - so check around.

·
HANUMAN
2,838 Posts
I came here as a young man seeking rock cocaine and a dominatrix to destroy what was left of my self esteem. Now I own a sailboat and have a job. Life didn't go exactly the way I had hoped, but I've learned to live with what I have.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Well if their wives aren't into sailing, they won't be married for much longer.

I also disagree. I have many hobbies with which my wife does not share an interest. She has also bought me the equipment for my various hobbies and interests. We have gone on vacations where we planned time for me to do my thing and for her to hang out, back at the hotel by the pool.

We don't have this kind of experience to know this yet, but I can imagine my wife saying something like, "Honey I wouldn't mind if we pulled into a marina tonight. Your daughter and I have been thinking that we might do some shopping in town for a while and let you and our son sail on to the next place and we can join you there. Maybe we'll sail back with you. I could use a break from sailing and some time on land."

When the marriage is solid and the love is strong you work things like this out.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
I've met several interesting people (singles and couples) on this site over the years who were either visiting or living in the SF Bay area. My first connections were responding to crew on their boats on the Chesapeake. We've sailed, communicated via email, become FB friends, etc. One person, who I consider my original sailing mentor, we recently got together for lunch when I was back visiting in Maryland after 5 years away. Though I'm a single woman, I was not seeking romance and these were all platonic interactions, which can be bit awkward trying to discern people's intentions. So it just depends on what you're looking for. Whether you're looking for a mate or just want to sail more with others, then I suggest joining Meet Ups, Single Sailors Association (they're nationwide) or an online dating forum with a profile that shows nothing but sailing pictures ;) Putting yourself on this sailing forum advertising for someone is just going to leave you open to the trolls who will have a lot of fun at your expense.

·
arrgh!
1,816 Posts
I've met a lot of nice people in person through this forum but I think if you're looking to "hook up" there are more targeted sites through which to do that. SailNet isn't a Craigs List and doesn't seek to be, and it isn't trying to compete with Match.com.
Actually I thought this was better than Craigs... less spam and you have an interest site... If I want to meet a sailor, I would think this is a much better place

But I just noticed a new user posting. She has a boat and sails in the Vermont area... but made the mistake of putting 'pirate' in her post...

I would have thought if a) you were single male and b) you are in the area.. that would be the perfect relationship choice but the jokes abound

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually I thought this was better than Craigs... less spam and you have an interest site... If I want to meet a sailor, I would think this is a much better place

But I just noticed a new user posting. She has a boat and sails in the Vermont area... but made the mistake of putting 'pirate' in her post...

I would have thought if a) you were single male and b) you are in the area.. that would be the perfect relationship choice but the jokes abound
Hey,

I'm actually near there. Do you happen to have her contact? Ya CL is not good. The personals is all sex or spam crap.

THanks

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Susan, if I were 30 years younger, single and in much better physical health, I would have answered your original post several months ago. However, this is definitely not the case. I've been married to the same woman almost as long as you have been alive, she tolerates my boating activities, but would never consider living aboard, which I unsuccessfully tried to have her do on several occasions.

My best advice is to post this on Match Dot Com and you will likely get more dates than you wish. My son posted his information on Match, ended up dating 16 beautiful ladies, and ended up marrying #17 last summer. He could not be happier.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you are successful in your endeavors,

Gary :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts