SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up on the hard and in her custom fitted cradle. It just rocks a bit and makes me nervous. this is my first year with the boat. I can (should be able to do whatever as far as walking around and working down below) without worrying about tipping the damn thing over? Assuming its done properly?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You really need a picture so we can see what you see BUT the boat should NOT budge if the cradle has been set on level ground

If the cradle is rocking on the surface it was placed on you should be able to shim the offending corner

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

this is from last year but its the same cradle just in a different location. the boat itself is not rocking between supports. just that it will have movement if trying to shift ones weight from side to side.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would think rocking isn't good on any large boat up on stands. All you need is a big gust or some sudden weight shift and disaster would be looming...

I don't like the stand on the blocks like you have it while sitting on grass. One good rain and sinking will occur and we know what's next...

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
Glad you finally got the hang of posting pics! I would not use those blocks! Solid wood blocking but not single web cinder block! Cutey your daughter is. Awwww :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Glad you finally got the hang of posting pics! I would not use those blocks! Solid wood blocking but not single web cinder block! Cutey your daughter is. Awwww :)
I agree. Those should be wood blocks. I always cringe when I see people use cinder blocks under cars. Boats weigh considerably more. At least they are turned the correct way to handle a load.

Have someone else walk around in the boat and look to see what may be moving.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well just to back the old man and his yard. All the boats are done this way and I have not seen one fall yet. Is it his liability if I'm up there working and the boat falls. I have not paid him yet for fall storage therefore dont have the contract yet. He is very laid back with everything. I've heard he is a world renowned ice sailor. the guy is 88 and does this himself. I guess he re roofed the house there last year himself and it has a pretty steep pitch. I think the movement is due to the movement in the cradle and the difference in size from the holes and bolts although not sure. I am just not used to being up on a cradle and it does move around, not much unless I am trying, but has me nervous.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see some are on wood and some on mine or maybe more on cinder block. I was not there when he pulled it. I wonder why he would do one one way and others the other way. I would assume he is responsible if anything goes wrong but I do want to get some work done in the fall. I switched to photobucket cuz flickr could not handle it. Should I be able to try to rock from side to side with NO movement at all or is the slight movement I am seeing too much? I figured you all would say, oh yea a little movement is not a big deal. Again I dont thing the foundation is moving. I believe it is all in the cradle. Its not a screw type but rather just a bolt going through the telescoping tubing.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm going to have to play the devils advocate here. (I agree about not using the block!!) But this looks like the yard did this setup and notice all the boats are like that. Should be fine. Again, I would talk to the boat yard and tell them your setup is rocking and your concerns, I am sure they will fix it, and no the boat should not move.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I note that it was on cinder blocks last year also. I wonder if that what the po wanted him to do and he is just following suit now?

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
We own a marina in NOLA and though we don't use cradles(stands and blocks) there shouldn't be any movement. If the boat isn't moving in the cradle but the cradle is rocking as a whole you need to shim it with wood. I personally wouldn't trust cinder blocks, one crack and they give way. They aren't made like they were in the day. Go get a Jack and swap those out for 4x4s or something similar. If the joints in the cradle are what's giving, I would get some small wooden wedges and shim the pipes and tighten it up a bit. It's not bad but I would be a little bit more at ease if my boat didn't rock and sway while I'm in it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll see what my shrink wrapper has to say. He has been doing the boat for the last 6 years and works out of a barn right at the yard. Its just a small one man yard with maybe 10-15 boats.

·
Old soul
4,626 Posts
Ditto on the blocks. Actually made me cringe with your cute daughter standing underneath there. The cradle should be fully supported all around its base. I've used old railway ties as a foundation if the ground is uneven or soft. Those blocks are not a good idea.

As for the rocking, I would be concerned. Perhaps it is the boat itself flexing? Obvious thing, but are the pads snug? I also wonder about the long forward overhang. I bet that's where you're getting your movement. Can you install another bow brace using a jackstand or other support? You might also consider securing the boat down using ground anchors.

I'd talk to the yard owner. He's as motivated to avoid a crash as you.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good call on the shims on the pipe. I will have to check it out further now that I am even more concerned.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its been in the same situation for six years and the boat next to me in the background is the same boat with what appears to be the same cradle. Just saying. Pretty sure the po did not work on his boat himself and I plan on being up there alot this winter. Glad I asked I guess. I will consult the shrink wrapper in a few days when I get her wrapped and see what he had to say about past years and other boats in the yard and go from there. Still appreciate any input into the situation by anyone. Thaks.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
A little review of how a cradle is supposed to work may be in order here.
Your boat weighs about 9000 #'s.
Most of that weight should be accommodated by the keel resting solidly on the cradle.
The supports on the cradle are only meant to hold the boat upright, not support the bulk of the weight.

Often you will see a heavy wooden plank laid down on the cradle to help distribute the weight of the keel across the cradle members. I would like to see this in your set up.
Our club uses cinder blocks in a similar fashion. Often the cinder blocks will be topped with small pieces of 2"x 6" to distribute the load across the cement block more evenly.

In effect, your boat is balanced on the cradle. Walking around on the decks you WILL feel how your weight affects this balance. It may be a little unnerving but it is normal.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would not suggest to anyone that they should touch a professional yards setup. You will be shifting the liability form them to you. This guy with his cradle has no choice but to have the yard do the spots and or be there when they put the boat in the spring.

Only one good reason to have the cradles up on some sort of dunnage. So the yard can relocate your boat cradle and all if they have to. This allows the sling to be easily put under the cradle. Now as far as using the concrete block...I am sure they have been doing this for some time and have had little issues, but you are looking at, what, 10,000 lb boat, give or take 2000? About 2500 lbs on each block. Sounds likes allot more than I am willing to see used. But the idea of taking the blocks out and installing something else or dropping to the ground on your own is insane!!! If you lift one corner at a time you take the chance of crushing one of the others from load shifting. Only way to do it safely is to pick the boat a cradle up with a crane.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
agreed, I would never move the boat on my own even though I have extensive rigging and lifting experience. I agree on the block as well. I am curious why some boats are on block and some on wood. Mine will be on wood from now on. Calebd, as usual I believe you are spot on but I could be wrong. It is becoming a learning experience at least which is good. Edit: why you are the only one to say that so far seems odd though. Also can you elaborate on the wood plank under the keel? Do you mean a piece of wood on top of the cradle going all the way across?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts