SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seagulls have recently decided to camp on my boat on a daily (nightly) basis leaving behind poo and regurgitated food for me to clean up the next day.I have a similar problem with swallows when they migrate to New Zealand over our summer.What is everyones favourite bird deterent that actually work,maybe 100% is a big ask but neatly there would help.Thanks in advance.
Chris-LFH Leaboard Ketch Tern-NZ

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts
There is an electronic bird repellent that I know for a fact works, but it's a bit pricey. If you are in a marina, perhaps they would install a few or a few owners could get together if you are on a mooring.
They are designed for airports and again, they do work.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Maybe our sea gulls are wimps. But, once I put up this bad boy on the piling by my boat, I quit having any problems with bird crap.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The kido and I went to WM for that owl and they only had a hawk. So we went with it and it does work. We get cormorants, the great blue heron, (really beautiful bird) and gulls, it repeals them well. Ever once in a while we get the fly by droppings but they are not parking on the deck any more. Note we hang it from the end of the boom so it swings in the breeze to appear life like.

Brad
Lancer 36

·
Barquito
3,678 Posts
Others do such things as hanging old cd/dvd discs from the rigging. This was more popular when we all got 3-4 mailed every week with some advertising. Maybe a pet cat?

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
50-100lb fishing line ~4-6" above spreaders. Pull halyards away from mast- hopefully in all directions. If you make it hard for birds to land and especially take off they seem to stay a way. Currently have two wind generators. They are very quite but they seem to help with bird issue as well. Worse poo is cormorants- hate them.

·
Living the dream
350 Posts
My problems are the rotten sods sheltering in the cockpit behind the bimini.

I've used CD's with some success. Haven't tried a plastic bird but tried a rubber snake and the birds just pooped all over it. There is a humming twine that can be purchased at great expense that is supposed to scare birds away. I've brought some but haven't tried it yet; It looks and feels like used liquid paper roll on tape.

For ultimate protection one time when all the birds in the area had decided that my boat was THE hangout, I had to cover everything in netting to keep them off. I used elastic netting normally used for covering trailers. Didn't last too long in the sunlight, but by that time the birds had moved on to other boats.

·
Registered
845 Posts
50-100lb fishing line ~4-6" above spreaders. Pull halyards away from mast- hopefully in all directions. If you make it hard for birds to land and especially take off they seem to stay a way. Currently have two wind generators. They are very quite but they seem to help with bird issue as well. Worse poo is cormorants- hate them.
Like this idea. I have swallows bad. The marina finally has decided to address the issue.

I see a lot of cormarants on the break walls in the last 2 years; can't wait for these nasty buggers to hop on the boat.
To bad NYS arrested the fisherman that shot the last bunch
Shoot-out at Little Galloo | Science | Smithsonian

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Putting Osprey nesting poles up in our area (and getting Osprey to nest on them) seems to help keep Cormorants away for a good portion of the summer. Monofiament tied a few inches above the spreaders and other roosting points also helps deter Cormorants and other fowl. We also had good results from a recording of seagulls & cormorants in distress that sounded at irregular intervals from a nearby boat. A neighboring homeowner complained about the noise, however, and it was turned off. BB's don't work around here: Cormorants are a Federally protected species under the Waterfowl Protection Act (because of treaties with both Canada and Mexico) , and you need a permit from the USDA Wildlife department in order to mess with them. People get fined for shooting them without a permit.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have to spike the top of my mast this year because of a F%#&@* cormorant!!! That piece of crap made a total mess last year on the mooring and I don't have a BB gun anymore...LOL

I will spike my spreaders while I am at it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the many ideas,some I have tried with limited success,but others are well worth a try-unfortunately I dont have a feline that would be happy to stay on board on its own for any length of time,the boat is moored some distance from shore.Thanks again
Chris- New Zealand

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Bene, NYS didn't arrest them because they shot birds.

NYS arrested them because they killed protected animals in an animal sanctuary.

Very different.

What you can shoot, when and where you can shoot, all important little differences. And even when you are allowed to dispatch non-native waterfowl, you may be required to wring their necks--and not allowed to kill them by any other means, because the law says wringing their necks is the only "humane" way to kill nuisance waterfowl.

Go figure.

I'd say to crazy glue a couple of the bastards upside down to the spreaders so their distress calls would keep the others away, but that's considered inhumane. Don't ask me how I know. (VBG)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hellosailor, thanks for the particulars.

I know one thing. In my new job (Airfield Management) i'm in charge of the BASH (Bird/Wildlife Aircraft Strike Hazard) program to aggresively keep Birds/Wildlife off the airfield for aircraft safety.
I have bio-accoustics, screamers, bangers and a big truck. It takes everything i can to keep them out. I use both passive and active controls in my program. (You would be surprised what you learn about passive wildlife control)
The #1 thing you are told is to never let them become established. They will tell there buddies and be back. #2 THE most effective method of control is a shotgun. As you said, the US wildlife service dictates when and how this can be administered. Never happens. We use this technique overseas for the most part. I have a very expensive bio-acoustics machine, It sucks. Save your money.
Most birds are a lot smarter than people give them credit. We have found the best active controls besides chasing (truck) screamers and bangers is to use a dog that actively chases. We paid $15k a summer to have a border collie come out. Next best, Falcons. Next, remote control helicopters.

I like the cat idea the best. You could keep it on a invisible fence. :)

Honestly, Look around. Find out why they like the local area so much. Where do they eat? Get rid of it. Where do they nest? do away with it.
Birds don't like what they can't see, they are looking for there predators. We let the grass grow tall. (7-14 inches)Plant thick shrubs along any water edges. Manage trees to discourage roosting and nesting. Why are they loafing at your location? Are they in between feedings?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
$15k for one summer of one collie? Damn, Lassie, have some more caviar.

For $15K I'll chase the birds all summer too.

I'm all for the environment but at a certain point, I think the bleeding heaert imbeciles go too far. Just shoot the damned things on the runway, and they'll learn within one generation to stay away from the airport. End of problem, all you need to do is cull the bold ones in the flock in future years.

Anyone who disagrees should be required to make a midwinter water landing in the Hudson before being allowed to ever enter a voting booth again. And then, still required to take two birds home with them.

Of course if Bob Moses was still personally in charge of that airport...they wouldn't have DARED fly anywhere near it. (VBG)

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Been on moorings and in slips. Seem to get less birds in slips. Sling shot with small ice cubes seems to work. Doesn't kill them but they don't come back and you don't damage anything if you miss. Only problem they crap as they take off when the ice shatters near them. One thing I learn cormorant guano ASAP. Once it's dried its hard to get off and may discolor what it's on.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"Sling shot with small ice cubes"
Use a paintball gun, tell 'em this is a first amendment protected activity, you're trying to color in the poor bland colorless gulls as an art project.

Damn, I was sure those paintballs had defrosted...

·
bell ringer
5,074 Posts
best way to keep birds off your boat is to toss fish onto some other boat so the birds start to like it better than yours, so maybe that boat "over there" than just wouldn't secure their halyards

1 - 20 of 23 Posts