SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I'm thinking about coming back

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Alex W 
#1 ·
I can't really find anywhere better. Plus I miss it up there dammit. My only problem last year was my boat was too small and when it rained I got wet and had no where to dry off or hang clothes. So I was too weather dependent.

But I can't find anywhere in the us an I'm not sure I'm ready yet to be mr international that has such relaxed sailing rules as the pnw plus Canada.

I want to do California but it is so much red tape it gives me a headache and it's no fun to plan a trip because instead of checking off places to see you have to figure out how to be allowed to be there. Hawaii has nowhere to go. It's a stopover on the way south.

So I just need a bigger boat. Not that maybe I'm a hunter guy, but my neighbor this summer had a hunter 31 and it had what I need
-perfect space
-heater
-shower
-stove and oven
-plenty of power from one big solar panel

I'm thinking I should get something this SIZE and keep it this time. Im looking to be ready about the same time this year. April.

How are the boats selling these days? There is actually an identical hunter on craigslist right now for 9900. It's hard to tell but it looks really nice. I thought they sold for more like $15.

For something around that size in nice condition what do you think I ought to budget. I'm keeping this one. I don't regret selling my ranger because while it was so nice and I did so much work to it, if I still had it I wouldn't want to go back. Just too small for my purposes. I don't like the guy I sold it to though. I wished it had found a better home but whatever.

What do you think I need to spend for a thirty footer. Is $10000 realistic or do I need closer to $15000. Any recommendations? I've got to admit, this time I'm not all like "I gotta go offshore!" I'll need a sturdy boat, but I hate to admit I want it to be comfortable to live on and warm and dry with a nice heater. Big enough too so my dog doesn't try to kill herself.

I'm going power dinghy too.

Otherwise I've got a lot of good gear I accumulated last year so I really just need a boat and dinghy. Oh and it has to have an autopilot.

See less See more
#2 ·
Go look at the Hunter. There are a number of reasons why the guy could be selling a perfectly good boat at a reasonable price. It could also be a POC, but you won't know that for sure until you get aboard. If you like it, get a survey. It's a small investment compared to what you believe you're saving, and it's good for peace of mind.

#4 ·
Ok thanks. I'll look at your blog. I'm not opposed to hunters. I only meant I may not be a hunter type of guy since I have never done any research into them. My last boat purchase was in the under 25 category so now that I'm going bigger I don't have the same familiarity with those as I do smaller boats.

I am not able to see any boats in person yet. I don't live in seattle. When it comes time to get one ill do what I did last year. Get a list of likely candidates off craigslist and go check them all out over a several day span. Since I'm ping to a higher price range maybe I'll check places like yachtworld too.

Then drive back to oregon to get my stuff and move aboard.

I'm actually hoping that in spring one of our sailnet members has some inside scoop on a really nice local boat that the owner just has to part with.

#5 ·
Glad to hear that you are considering coming back. There is a lot more to see here, and based on what you liked last year I actually think you'll quite enjoy sailing in the Puget Sound (which you skipped last year). That is a good place to be in April because there is more consistent wind down here then and more services will be open. If I had my same time window available again I think I'd go for a Vancouver Island circumnavigation too.

If you see ads for boats at Shilshole I'm happy to scope them out for you. Most 30' boats there are near my dock. I also watched CL for such a long period over here that I can tell you which boats have been listed for years (like the Pearson 32 in Poulsbo) and which ones are new listing.

There is a Ranger 29 that is often listed on CL (not today) that is across from me and looks like a very nice boat at near $9000. I've pointed it out to a few friends though, so it might be sold by the time you are up here shopping.

The hard part with Hunter seems to be understanding which boats were well made and which ones weren't. There was a lot more variability with them than with other big manufacturers like Catalina. That doesn't mean they all suck, just that some of them do. In comparison the Catalina 30 is in your price range, has a huge interior, sails nicely, and a pretty consistent quality level.

Near 30' is a sweet spot on size for me too. I've looked at a fair number of boats in this size and almost universally you get standing room, plenty of storage, and enough mass to handle sailing in a bigger blow. Interior space can vary widely though, older 32' designs often have less interior space than my 28' boat.

Other common Seattle boats that you should look for are:
* Catalina 30
* Islander 30 (30-2 and Bahama are nicer than the 30-1)
* C&C 29 and 30 (likely start closer to $20k or needs lots of work)
* Tartan 30/Yankee 30 (likely start closer to $15k)

San Juan 28s and 30s are very common up here, but I'd avoid them based on both quality and sailing reputation.

It can be harder to find an inboard diesel boat with a good motor here for $10k, but those boats are out there.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks! Just to add a few things.
First off my budget can go up to $15,000 for the boat and any survey or things I need to do for it. So if I can get one I like for ten. Good. But I can do fifteen.

I'm budgeting $1000 for a used motorized dinghy. That's fine, right? 99% of the time it will be just me and a dog and we're both light so I don't need a lot of power. Maybe a four horse rib? Can you get that used for $1000?

I'm discarding a lot of my preconceived notions I started last year with. Like silly rules like not towing dinks and pretending I'm an ocean crosser. I had an amazing time last year but certain things I can do better and make my life easier. I'm buying a boat for the northwest that I want to be happy on and have things to do. So that means, like I said before, I need a lot more comfort. I need not look at flickas and Bristol 24's. But more what you are suggesting. Catalina 30's.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around for some reason but I don't need a blue water cruiser right now.

#7 ·
I'd call your boat target price $10k then. That leaves you the $600ish you'll spend on the survey, $1000 on taxes, $1000 for the dink, and $2000 for upgrades and catching up on deferred maint. $1000 goes quickly on a 30' boat.

I do think there are areas up here where you want the ability to carry the dink on the foredeck instead of towing it. It would be a requirement for me if lapping Vancouver Island ends up on the list. That doesn't mean you can't tow it sometimes, just that I wouldn't tow it on any major crossing.

$1000 for a good quality dink with a 2-4 hp outboard should be fine. I don't think you'll get a good quality used RIB at that price point, but you might get lucky. I personally prefer a good towing and rowing rigid dink, but can understand why inflatables and RIBs are popular.

If you are here in April you should aim to hit the Fisheries Supply Swap Meet that is very very early in the morning around tax day. There are always good deals on dinghies and other useful gear.

#9 ·
Ok. I'm looking at Pdx. The boats I see always seem more expensive but maybe it's just that cluttered 24 footer that's been listed for $20k ever since I started looking. Called land oh or something. They won't drop the price. Not that I want it.

After considering for the last week I've decided this is my plan. I'm surprised how much I want to come back.

For part two we have to go further. Where should I start trip planning? I'm hearing circumnavigating vancouver thrown out there. Alaska seems rather on the ambitious side. I'd really like to explore the queen Charlotte islands. I saw some surf photos of them as I heard they are just starting to be discovered so its best to go now.

On a smaller scale here's my list I missed or want to see again.

#1 vancouver. I should max out my anchor limit this time.

Victoria or by way of oak harbor

Tofino/long beach. Supposedly where people surf in Canada.

More in the discovery islands including the octopus islands. Mostly because of the name

Friday and Roche harbors

#13 ·
Not sunny today. It's been quite sunny this week outside of Seattle, but we've been socked in under an inversion. Yesterday it was almost 70 degrees and sunny at 5000' on Mt Rainier and never broke 50 inside the city limits.

Good luck with the boat purchase.

The Orca whales are somewhere down here today, keep an eye on Orca Network on Facebook and you might be to see them from a park along I5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.