SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pint of that almond off-white and white topside paint and have been going bananas. I re-painted the entire cockpit seating surfaces and plan to do the deck this weekend.

One thing I have learned - by adding two or so coats over an old non-skid paint job, you really lose some grip.

I think the best before & after was the pedestal:

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 1981 Catalina 27 which I purchased last year. The fiberglass was showing through on part of the topside. I did not want to spend a lot of money for cosmetic purposes. I found a product called KiwiGrip and was pleased with it. I used a brush to paint the non skid and this stuff was great. It covered the fiberglass, cleaned up with water and acts as non skid. One quart covered all the non skid. Not to be confused with AwlGrip.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
you used rustoleum for the pedestal? I would love to do mine too...but some paints are scarce down here

I need to paint the binnacle too its black...

anybody have success with random metal paints for these?

nice job btw

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I did my pedestal with white VALSPAR house paint and it has done great

IN simple paint the Interlux interdeck is a better low cost deck paint because the Rubber ? or whatever particles are mixed in the correct amount

I had my hatch powder coated as it gets way to much saltwater and is way to much work for a shortcut

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I did my pedestal with white VALSPAR house paint and it has done great

IN simple paint the Interlux interdeck is a better low cost deck paint because the Rubber ? or whatever particles are mixed in the correct amount

I had my hatch powder coated as it gets way to much saltwater and is way to much work for a shortcut
did you have to prime it a bit? I painted my aluminum davits but they had a base coat that hadnt shown through yet...the pedestal though has aluminum showing

thanks

getting etch paint for some reason down here is tough

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The pedestal is old edson and has irreplaceable A4 controls built in,it would have turned into and epic project to powder coat

So it got the scrape all the lose paint and see what happens and the Valspar is very forgiving and is a one step house paint which I also used 100% on the interior in grey and white

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
same here on the interior...used a nice "exterior" paint for that...I have the same wheel just wondering how forgiving/lasting that paint was on chipped aluminum

I too will not be removing anything...mine has palmer p60 controls! even more scarce than the a4 stuff jajaja

·
Registered
270 Posts
What about that trick of sprinkling coarse salt on the wet paint before it sets up. Once dry you hose off salt and it leaves a non-skid surface?

I am not sure about when you sprinkle...too soon and I am guessing the paint dissolves the salt.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I have a 1981 Catalina 27 which I purchased last year. The fiberglass was showing through on part of the topside. I did not want to spend a lot of money for cosmetic purposes. I found a product called KiwiGrip and was pleased with it. I used a brush to paint the non skid and this stuff was great. It covered the fiberglass, cleaned up with water and acts as non skid. One quart covered all the non skid. Not to be confused with AwlGrip.
Did you use their loopy-goopy roller to create the non-skid texture pattern for the Kiwi Grip?

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I would recommend Pettit Easypoxy as a much better alternative to some of the non-marine paints suggested. It's as easy to apply as any oil-based enamel and the finish is hard and stands up to a lot of abuse. Well worth the small cost difference over hardware store paint.

·
Barquito
3,756 Posts
I used Interlux Perfection on the deck with their non-skid stuff added. I like the texture better than the hardware store sand non-skid I used on my last boat. However, I did not add enough. The decks are not non-skiddy enough when wet. I will be adding another coat... sometime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.