SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RL24 (Rob Legg) Kookaburra
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been doing a lot of research and even emailed Humminbird, never got a response. What I am looking for is either a Puck/In Hull transducer that is combo'd with a display. Or a display only that does not come with a transducer that I can pair with a Puck.

The issues I am having is: the Display Only stuff I find is very expensive, and the affordable fish finders all come with Transom Mount Transducers. Why pay for the whole thing if I wont even use the transducer that will come with it?

I am looking to keep it all at $140 - $160. I found some Pucks for around $70 but can never find a display only that is affordable. I emailed Humminbird to see if all PiranahMAX models were compatible with each others transducers, never got a response, and if they had just the displays for sale.

Here is one of the Pucks I found and is compatible with alot of the PiranahMAXs, Humminbird Transducers and Accessories for all Humminbird Fish Finders and Fishing Systems

What I noticed is pretty much all of the Pucks skip certain models, they go 150, 160, 170. What I have been looking at is the 155 and 165, they are all PiranahMAX so I might assume the connections are the same?

Here is one of the Fishfinders, Amazon.com: Humminbird 4086201 PiranhaMAX 165 Single Beam Fishfinder: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41P94ZMB5dL

Does anyone have a cheapish In Hull transducer setup or purchased any In Hull Transducer Display combos? Or knows if the compatibility is the same for all PiranahMAXs?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Hey,

You CAN use the transom mount transducer. Just put it INSIDE the hull and pretend it's a puck. It will work fine (as long as your hull is solid fiberglass). I have done this with two lowrance units.

Barry

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had thought about doing that as well but was curious if there is a difference in performance between using the transom transducer or a puck? Or if it is just negligible? One other question. Did you glue it straight to the hull or I have seen some use a plastic container that was filled with either water or castor oil with the transducer sitting in it.

Here is one example of the plastic container method:
RL Trailable Yachts from Rob Legg Yachts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have mounted the transom mount transducer 2 ways on two different boats. On my Catalina 22 I cleaned up the old installation and trial mounted the puck in toilet ring wax. It worked so good I left it that way.

On my new to me Catalina 30 I mounted the transom puck in a blob of PC-7 epoxy. It works great, I mounted it on the centerline about 3 feet forward of the keel. This was with a Lowrance Elite 5.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
not huminbird but I installed a garmin echo 150 with toilet wax inside my islander 36...

$100 or so...

your hull has to be solid glass and you have to sand flat the glass roving or texture if you will to get less pockets of air...

mold wax, and press transducer in firm but dont go all the way down...what you want is transducer,space, wax, surface...if you press out all the wax under the trasducer you get air which is what you want to avoid

cheers

·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, thank you for the input.

One last question, can I have the transducer facing forward a bit so I can see something before I pass over it? Or will it get distorted unless it is facing down?

I looked up some official forward facing setups but again they are very pricey.

·
Old soul
5,119 Posts
A few years ago I was able to purchase a Humminbird fishfinder from my local dealer. It was packaged with a transom mount transducer, so I just asked if I could change it for a puck. He said sure, and just swapped it out right there. Just one of the benefits of dealing with actual people ;).

As others have said, it's certainly possible to use a transom-mount as a shoot thru the hull. As long as you can mount it so it remains positioned properly, you'll be fine.

As for angling forward, I'm sure you'll get a reading, but I wonder how the display's software will interpret the returns. I would think you're going to get false, or flawed interpretations of the actual depth since the pulse will be sent along a longer line. It will show you something ... just not sure if it will be very accurate.

You could give it a try with a temporary mount first.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Excellent, thank you for the input.

One last question, can I have the transducer facing forward a bit so I can see something before I pass over it? Or will it get distorted unless it is facing down?

I looked up some official forward facing setups but again they are very pricey.

nope...my garmin looks like an l shape...the le goes back...you have to put it as level as possible and again dont squeeze to hard

this is about the best bang for buck mod I have ever done especially when you consider its moveable and you can install on another boat easily and the fact that you get bottom contour...

also if you get lucky you can install in the v berth in a flat part of the bow...that way you get depth before keel...if going slowly in murky water thats a bonus for example

forward facing sonar is the new guy in town these days and well when the price comes down it will be great to have however a good lookout on the spreaders does the same...jajaja

peace:)

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I've been shooting through the hull for three decades now, including aluminum hulled boats. The only hull you cannot shot through is a cored hull. Most are not cored on the bottom. Like Mike, I just asked the dealer to swap my transducer out for a puck - no questions asked, no money exchanged hands - even swap.

Gary :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts