SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
Reaction score
When unfurling ease vang, ease mainsheet, grind the outhaul while keeping tension on the furling line. Let the sail come out slowly as you grind.

When furling ease the vang, ease the mainsheet, grind the furling line while keeping tension on the outhaul.

I furl on most points of sail but it might be better to head up when furling especially if the main is old and baggy.

· Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
Reaction score
IF the furling loop should jump off of the furler control on the mast;
  • There is a winch-like fitting on the furler control at the base of the mast, which you can insert a winch handle into, and use to manually crank the mainsail in.
  • There is also a slot at one spot on the circumference of this device, which you can use, in combination with a winch handle, to reinsert the furling line back onto the furler control.
I have a B393 with in-mast furling (this is the type boat the OP is asking about). AFAIK there is no winch like fitting at the base of the mast to manually crank the sail in.

· Warm Weather Sailor
1,039 Posts
Reaction score
In practice I found it sticky. The weather was such that we reefed a lot. I never put the lines on a winch to furl or unfurl, but even when everything was lined up right they were hard enough to pull that I was tempted to. This may be from being a 10-year-old charter boat.
I always use the winch for both furling and un-furling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.