SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Learning the HARD way...
7,888 Posts
Reaction score
IF the furling loop should jump off of the furler control on the mast;
  • There is a winch-like fitting on the furler control at the base of the mast, which you can insert a winch handle into, and use to manually crank the mainsail in.
  • There is also a slot at one spot on the circumference of this device, which you can use, in combination with a winch handle, to reinsert the furling line back onto the furler control.

7,888 Posts
Reaction score
I have a B393 with in-mast furling (this is the type boat the OP is asking about). AFAIK there is no winch like fitting at the base of the mast to manually crank the sail in.
You are RIGHT!

I assumed that it would be similar to the Selden In-mast furler;

It is not.
You know what happens when you ass-u-me...:eek:

7,888 Posts
Reaction score
Per the US Spars Operational manual section on Z-spar; http://www.usspars.com/wp-content/uploads/PDF/OperationalManual2013.pdf
Furling the Sail:
Release vang and mainsheet so that the leach has little or no tension.

Maintaining a slight tension on the outhaul line, furl the sail into the mast with the inhaul line try and keep the wind ahead. (A slight pressure from the wind will prevent creases in the sail).

Insure that the furling drum has two or three turns of rope left on it when the sail is fully furled.

The sail will only furl as far as the reinforcement patch.

With new sails you will need to make some VERY tight furls by holding back on the outhaul line when furling in the sail.

Always keep the vertical batten pockets parallel to the mast.

Keep equal tension on the foot and leech of the sail when furling in, this will avoid bunching when unfurling.

Remember when furling or unfurling is that you are trying to keep equal tension on the foot and leach of the main, if one has vastly different tension the sail will furl uneven.

Releasing all leach line tension will help when furling.
Now as for the sail 7-8 years of use with a furling mast I would be very surprised if it didn't need to be replaced, or at least serviced, cleaned and checked, and possibly have some of the hollow/ middle taken out to flatten the sail. You can also ask the sail maker to check the leach line and make sure it is as small as he can make it; you also do not need to tension this when furling.

Let the boom do what it wants when furling, release vang and mainsheet before furling. We find when furling in the boom need to be raised about 20º and when furling out bring it down 20º below horizontal. Also keep load on the opposing line when furling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.