SailNet Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
If you go back to in mast blow the extra money on laminate or carbon or vetran. Do NOT put Dacron on it. Have a Hood Vectran main. No bagginess. You may get a bit of creep but no stretch with a good modern fabric main but they will wear out before stretch is an issue to the degree it will effect furling.
I suffered a knockdown on a Hinckley 59 ketch from a jammed in mast coming back from Bermuda. A knife was ultimately taken to the sail. It was an early system. Hear newer ones are much better. But left me very leery of them. Would investigate if yours has had any improvements in design in subsequent versions and if they can be incorporated in a redo of yours. If you are going offshore may be time to replace chainplates and rigging. May be time to look at all your systems.
HR was on our short list ( Outbound, Boreal, HR, Rustler). You have a true go anywhere in anything boat. Have too much fun.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
I agree with outbound about using a nearer laminated material. Consult with your sailmaker as some materials break down when rolled around the furling mandrel. On the other hand you don't have to worry about creases from folds.

Stuart - you seem to have settled in nicely on the Yahoo HR Group. You'll find them a tremendous source of information.

·
Rainwatcher
437 Posts
Having sailed several of them, I'll never own an in-mast furler.

Reactions: Lazerbrains

·
Master Mariner
9,407 Posts
My next boat will definitely, absolutely, categorically, positively have in mast furling.Even if its a cat.
When I was looking for a boat to buy, inmast was a need to have for me. I did a lot of looking around for inmast systems I could add to a boat without, should it be economically feasible. After Katrina I found quite a few for sale at a very reasonable prices (under 10 g's); mast, rig, sail and all. These rigs were supposedly from boats sunk with no damage to the rig.
Not that any of us wants to profit from someone else's misfortune, but it is possible to convert at a reasonable cost if you can find one of these.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Rainwatcher
437 Posts
I want to be able to put the weight of the sail on the deck. In-mast furling leaves it at full height in all conditions.

Before you tell me that doesn't matter, throw your main over your shoulder and jog up and down the dock a couple times.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.