SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have in-mast furling on my CatalinaMkII36 and have conscientiously taken down the mainsail and genoa every winter. I assume it is NOT recommended to leave either sail in place over winter when snow, ice and frost will do their jobs. However, just in case this is misplaced or old-fashioned thinking - and since my crew and I are getting a bit older, too - I just want confirmation that this is indeed a "must-do". Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have in-mast furling on my CatalinaMkII36 and have conscientiously taken down the mainsail and genoa every winter. I assume it is NOT recommended to leave either sail in place over winter when snow, ice and frost will do their jobs. However, just in case this is misplaced or old-fashioned thinking - and since my crew and I are getting a bit older, too - I just want confirmation that this is indeed a "must-do". Thanks!
Love the 36, great boat.

I think it is a good idea to take down both your main and genoa during the winter. It gets the them out of the weather and give you a change to inspect the halyards.

Having said that...... I have in mast furling as well. Since we sail year round here in the PNW, I never take down my main and genoa. I SHOULD take them down at least yearly to inspect the gear, but I don't.

·
Re-Member
228 Posts
I have had in-mast furling for going on 14 years now. I leave my main sail in the mast; I take the genoa down. I figure the mast is providing almost as much protection as my garage would.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
The prime reason you should take your sail down is to clean it. Dirt in the threads, even indistinguishable, will prematurely wear your sail. Wash it annually.

I also think that moisture on a sail that is never pulled out for months, has to be bad for it. Not the end of days, of course, but premature wear and tear.

·
HANUMAN
2,838 Posts
On year I stored my boat in the water in CT. I left my jib on the furler thinking I would use the boat one or two last times before it got real cold. Well, we got an early ice storm and my jib was frozen solid, then snow, then more ice. It didn't thaw for weeks. I then went away for about 6 weeks. By the time I got back it was early spring and I figured I might as well leave it up.

When I unfurled for that first spring sail it was covered in black mold.

YMMV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.