SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1961 32' Rhodes Chesapeake with the original wood mast (spruce). The mast has a really bad twist/bend just below the spreaders. Its not broken just twisted/bent. I’m not really sure if I should be looking for help with adjusting my rigging or if I should be looking for help with refitting with a new or used aluminum mast. Does anyone have any suggestions? Who could I contact for any solutions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Registered
337 Posts
Scott , Could you send me a few pics of your mast? I have spruce masts on my boat and have built numerous wood spars over the years. Others may think differently, but I would not replace a wood mast on an old classic unless the wood is too far gone. On box construction masts, it is usually the glue joints that fail, especially if the spar was built with resorcinol.[usually lasts about 25 years]

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish you were closer to the north east. Im in Rhode Island and could use your help badly. I will take a few pictures later and send them to you. Im new to sailnet, is there a way to send you a file or do i need your email?

Scott

·
Registered
337 Posts
You can e-mail me at [email protected] When you get 10 posts, you can send private messages. I am a shipwright by trade and can probably put you in touch with someone closer to you who can help. Is your boat Laramar? Drop me an e-mail, Scott

·
Roadkillibus Texanis
1,602 Posts
Hey smooth . . . I love the wood spars . . . but . . . if you decide to go aluminum go used. I priced a new mast for a 22 footer a few years ago and nearly died when I got the estimate. I picked up a used (like brand new) 12 foot boom in Kemah last month for a hundred bucks . . . blocks and all! A piece of an Ike victim will live on . . .

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Where are you located? There are firms like Cutts and Case in Oxford, MD who retain the skills and knowledge of wood to probably be able to properly straighten the spar. I'm guessing it will need some time in a steam box and a careful application of opposite twist loads.

If the bend is below the spreaders I am guessing there isn't much you can do with the standing rigging that will correct it. Depends on why it bent, the severity and what the rig is (i.e single spreaders, double, forward or aft swept spreaders, diamond shrouds, etc.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts