SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking all over the web and in stores for the perfect LED lantern to hang from the middle of my boom to light my cockpit while at anchor, on a dock, or motoring.

Desired qualities:
- 12v; car-lighter type plug (no batteries, solar, chargeables, etc)
- LED (warm white color, not cool )
- Lantern or hanging fixture style (to hang from aft half of boom)
- Easily removeable (unhook, wind cord, and go)
- Use with a 12v extension cord to run down the boom, through the companionway, to a 12v outlet
- No inverter required
- Low draw

Have you seen something like this?

·
Registered
865 Posts
The Davis Mega-Light meets all your criteria other than LED bulb. With .11 amp power draw I don't think I'd bother switching to an LED bulb. But if you wish to switch after market bulbs are readily available; search Davis Mega-Light and the LED replacements pop up.

Tom Wood wrote a glowing review of the Mega-Light on Sail-net.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
You might try the auto chains, there are a constantly changing variety of LED "work lights" that are designed to be plugged in to 12v power (often with an internal battery as well) that have arrays like 4x20 LEDs to give a hemisphere of nice bright light. Hang one under the boom, and it should give you nice downlight without shining in anyone's eyes.

WalMart probably has them as well, the've become really common.

If you want a 360-degree "lantern" style lantern, any of the camping stores (including wallyworld) also has those, but that type usually runs on batteries not a power cord.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
0.11 draw is good (surprising low for incandescent). If it's not LED, then I'm not so worried about the color.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts

·
Sundance 23
878 Posts
Interesting website. I like the products. Wonder how long the shipping would take?
Shipping rates are reasonable.

I'm definitely buying the Owl anchor light, with 5 meter tinned cord, with cigarette lighter end. Come on State Tax Return. :)

Thanks so much for that link. :) :)

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that the Davis Mega-Light sounds like the best lead for me. It has the draw of an LED, but the warmth of an incandescent ... and it just plugs into 12v ... no batteries, solar.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Actually the mega light just comes with a dim incandescent bulb, and a brighter incandescent bulb. The dim one still draws about 5x more power than a typical LED would. No magic there, just a power miser from the pre-LED age.

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have some G4 LED replacements in my cabin reading lamps that draw .05 amps. So if this draws .11 that's not too bad. For the cockpit I just want a warm glow vs. a bright cool overpowering light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1 on the Davis Mega Light. Works great as a cockpit light hanging from the boom. I extended the cord another 15' to get it a little higher when I anchor out.

·
Senior Slacker
4,223 Posts
I use an Ikea hanging lamp, like this:

I just changed the plug to a "cigarette lighter" type plug, installed an adapter in the "Edison" bulb socket, and plugged a 1W G4 LED array into the adapter. You can buy 12V LED arrays that screw directly into Edison sockets, but this way the one in the lamp can also double as a spare for my G4 reading lamp fixtures.

Normally, the lamp hangs over the table in the main cabin. But I can unplug it, move it to the cockpit, and hang it from the boom when needed (when in the cockpit, I plug it into socket normally used for the tiller pilot).

One BIG advantage to this little lamp over most others is that the "bulb" is pretty deeply recessed in the fixture. That way, it can be adjusted so that it doesn't shine directly in anyones' eyes, wiping out their night vision. I can steer the boat while someone is reading in the cabin and it doesn't bother me to have the companionway wide open, as the light reflected into the cockpit is rather dim.

Reactions: jimgo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts