SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, we are back in the water. The keel will need to be revisited in the fall. The rubrail project turned out looking pretty good. I went with a boot stripe where the rubrail used to be. It was just to hard to get a stiff, curving and twisting rubrail to stay in place for gluing. The mystery blower is still a mystery. It makes a gravelly sound and I plan to replace it. I had the yard replace a through-hull. I noticed it was cracking and didn't have the inclination to practice applying Mainesail's directions to replace it. I haven't gotten the bill yet. I upped my insurance from the purchase price to the replacement value. The anchor light is intermittent. I have the top climber, so now is the time to go up the mast -- well not now since I'm dog tired after working on the boat until 3AM this morning. I want my wits about me when I do that. I bought a used dinghy (Bombard 2002) wiht engine (Honda 4 stroke 2004 with 30 hours on it). And get this -- we are taking delivery by water. It turns ou thte sleer is along our route to Montauk, so we'll buy it, and drophim back off on land. No wind generator, no electric fridge this year. Maybe next winter. We'll run the motor for refrigeration this summer. The spinnaker is repaired (and so is the sock for it - can't wait to fly it.

We are putting the sails on tonight and planning on leaving the dock at first light tomorrow.

Any interested crew, let me know. Glen Cove -- Connecticut River (overnight perhaps) -- Montauk

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is a good restaurant (not cheap though) in the marina/resort that is right at the entrance to the CT river in Saybrook. Stopped there a few weeks ago on my delivery trip home with my new-to-me boat after a long, rainy day. Nice hot showers (with classical music) and good food.

·
19,489 Posts
Good for you, Bene... Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Finally!! You sure didn't miss much good sailing weather. Maybe this is good sign and the sun will finally come out for more than a few hours. Give a wave as you head out the GC creek as you head east.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Congratulations!

I will have everyone on the east coast shoot off some fireworks to celebrate this weekend.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
Great for you Benne,

We will be up in your neck of the woods comming from the Chesapeake visiting Myic on Jly 17th and 18th and Block on the 19th and 20th then heading back down the sound. Maybe we will cross paths.

Dave

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
That's right, we are back in the water. Any interested crew, let me know. Glen Cove -- Connecticut River (overnight perhaps) -- Montauk
congradulations
If you are on this side of the dead sea sat or sun give me a call. Maybe I can meet up with you. At least see your handywork.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Post trip report: My son Lucas and I double handed our boat. Much motoring in calm winds. We got out Tursday at 4:00, with immense help from my wife Maria and CalebD (who would only accepted a burger and fries for his efforts). Caleb also stopped by all spring lending tools and moral support. Thanks Caleb!

We ducked into Port Jeff ahead of a nearby thunderstorm and anchored to the west of the entrance, where the other monohull sailboats were. (There were only catamarans on the east side. I dared not go there.)

Up and out at 5:30 AM the next day. We had to manually raise the anchor, the windlass just went "click, click". We had a real boost from the current through Plum Gut - we didn't see any whirlpools this time. Actually there was onlh 1/2 mile visibility in fog right near the gut so we didn't see much at all. Lucas kept a sharp eye out for boat traffic. He had the helm the whole trip except for about 10 minutes. We made Montauk by 2:10 PM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts