SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using VC Offshore for the first time and I believe it will be faster if cleaned frequently. Has anyone found a device (extendable scrub brush)that works well for cleaning from the dock?

Has anyone tried the Dri Diver?

RNS

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use a REALLY soft brush i found at the walmart auto section for cleaning RVs and DIY it
Using this method, it helps if you attach a 2 or 3 liter plastic bottle to the back of the head of the brush. This causes the brush to want to float and the helps push it against the hull.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The problem is removing to much paint which is why i do it in the water and even then i rubbed through some spots

It gets you real wide awake in the spring and fall and the sea monkeys in your shorts are also a real thrill

·
I don't discuss my member
2,634 Posts
I gues you would suggest scrubbibg using a diver. What yould you clean/polish it with?
Depending on the amount of fouling, try using a piece of carpet or a diaper. And yes, I recommend doing it by hand, in the water. Using a Dri Diver or similar device, you can't control the amount of pressure you are using to clean the hull, not to mention how abrasive the scrub pads that come with the device are. Also, those devices will not clean the keel, running gear, thru-hulls etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I care for 3 boats with VC, all well travelled, serious racers. We supply the diver with extra fine 3M sanding sponges, about 600 grit, and 3M blue sanding pads. We recoat the bottoms between 3 to five years, depending on the condition. But be advised that these are expensive bottoms to maintain. Both boats haul out for detailing before major regattas, otherwise the diver cleans the bottom at least once a week, sometimes twice. The only place I can use a brush is on the waterline and use nothing more aggresive than the blue soft bristle head.

·
2,634 Posts
We discussed this with the enviro cops last year and they determined that cured epoxy is not a biohazard.
Ummm... I don't know who "the enviro cops" are, but my guess is that they don't make policy regarding water pollution in your state and even if they did, they certainly didn't make that determination based on your conversation with them in the marina (or wherever). I understand your justification for in-water burnishing, but the fact remains, it is likely illegal in your state and your diver does my industry a disservice by agreeing to do it for you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The enviro cops is a term used here to descibe any authority associated with environmental issues and in fact the determination was not done by some guy in a marina but the result of a request by the local marine industry for clarification from the Water Resources Board. The board determined that epoxy bottoms are essentially boats without bottom paint, which can be cleaned in our state, as can bare fiberglass. As a marine industry professional, I would not ask any diver to break the law.

But as you say, bottom cleaning should be in compliance with state law and it is the responsibility of the owner or their representative to be aware of the regs.

Nevertheless, VC bottoms are expensive to maintain.

·
2,634 Posts
Excellent response and I applaud your attitude. I assumed when you mentioned "cured epoxy" you were referring to a modified epoxy bottom paint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts