SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's rare that I post in this area of the forum, but I thought this would be very beneficial to everyone.

Last week, I was looking to begin the arduous, annual task of cleaning and waxing my Morgan 33 Out Island hull, which was absolutely filthy from the past winter's harshness and grime. There were streaks of decaying rub rail running down the sides, rust stains from chain plate bolts that for some reason have recently developed a thin film of surface rust, and the usual soot and stuff that tends to accumulate every winter.

Normally, I go to work with various bleach and soap mixtures and a scrub brush, scrub the Hell out of the hull, then compound the worst stains, and finish with a couple coats of marina wax. A three day job at the very least, sometimes longer.

As I prepared the bucket of hot, soapy water, a fellow boater from the marina came up and said "Hey Gary, give this a try - you may be surprised." He handed me a spray bottle of yellow liquid, I sprayed some on a nasty stain near the stern quarter, waited about 10 to 15 seconds, then wiped with a terry cloth towel. The stain vanished, the hull was shiny and as clean as if I had just painted it. Unbelievable. I asked where he got this stuff and was told Dollar General for just $1 a quart. It is called Totally Awesome Cleaner. Bulk LA?s Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz. at DollarTree.com

It took less than 2 hours to do the entire boat, the hull looks better than it has in years, and the next step was to rinse it down with fresh water and allow the hull to thoroughly dry. For added protection from the elements, I'm applying a couple coats of Poli-Glow Amazon.com: Poli Glow Kit Complete: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rpBn-km%[email protected]@[email protected]@51rpBn-km%2BL This is similar to automotive clear coat, however, it has been formulated for marine use. Another guy at the marina did his boat last year with the product, and it look like a mirror finish throughout the year. And, this spring, he merely washed the boat with dish detergent and hot water, applied a single coat and it again looks incredible. It's a wipe on product that does not require buffing and takes less than an hour to do a 33 foot boat. How slick is that!

Have a great sailing season everyone,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Gary. I am looking for a good cleaner for the same purpose and I'll give it a try.. I hope it is available at the Canadian stores... I'll check them. How many bottles did it take to do your boat?

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,072 Posts
Gary - be careful with the Poli Glow....the PO used it on my boat and it turned into a gummy mess after a couple of years. Apparently the first few years it looks great, as long as you strip the old stuff completely before applying a new coat.

Reactions: LilBabyPenguin

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used the polyprep mixed a bit stronger than suggested to clean off my 3 year old poliglo (added a new layer each year), then cleaned the hull with soap and water before reapplying all new poliglo.
Looks great, saved hours if not days. Time is better spent sailing.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that's the kind of information I was hoping to hear about Poli-Glow. BTW, I was told that the Totally Awesome Cleaner would also remove Poli-Glow - don't know for sure, but it came from a reliable source.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Good luck with the Poli-Glow. I know a few people that have used it. A few rave reviews and a couple of NEVER AGAIN. If it fails, be prepared for a major job to get it off.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Gary - be careful with the Poli Glow....the PO used it on my boat and it turned into a gummy mess after a couple of years. Apparently the first few years it looks great, as long as you strip the old stuff completely before applying a new coat.
If he has already used the stuff, he'll regret it....and soon!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Poliglo comes with directions or instructions for use. If you read the label and apply it correctly it seems to work fine.
There is a polyglo remover available to take it off, certainly no more difficult than compunding wax off the hull.
Big letters on the label say it is for use on fiberglass. Using it on paint probably ain't going to work - but that is not a product problem, that is a user problem.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just talked with the folks at My Boat Store, which is the prime distributor and information center for Poli-Glow. I specifically asked about using the product over painted surfaces. He said it's not a problem if the paint is a two-part epoxy paint that is more than a few years old. If the paint job is still a bit new, he said there can be a reaction and it is not recommended because the chemicals in the paint continue to leech for quite some time before fully cured. My paint is Emron and 15 years old so it will not be a problem.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Poliglo comes with directions or instructions for use. If you read the label and apply it correctly it seems to work fine.
There is a polyglo remover available to take it off, certainly no more difficult than compunding wax off the hull.
Big letters on the label say it is for use on fiberglass. Using it on paint probably ain't going to work - but that is not a product problem, that is a user problem.
Well... our boats are fiberglass, why would it not work?
They don't say "use on gel coat only". This is from the Poly Glow web-site:

Poli Glow is a proven concept in boat polish and is 'NOT' a boat wax. It is easily applied. It wipes on without the need for rubbing or buffing. It will not wash off with soap and water. And lasts for over 12 months!

Poli Glow will work on the following: RV's, Boats, Canoes, Motorhomes, Painted Fiberglass, Painted Metals, Rubber and Vinyl Lettering.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't think of anything more time consuming and less rewarding than waxing the hull. It usually takes me the better part of 4 hours to apply and buff two coats of wax, and the wax will only look good for a month or two at the most. After getting cooked in the sun and washed off by the rain, you wouldn't know the boat was ever waxed at all after two months of summer sailing. My friend's Poli-Glow finished boat looked great all last year. He used the Poli-Glo remover this spring, and it took less than an hour to strip last year's Poli-Glow from his 30 Catalina Tall. I'm going to give it a shot in the next two weeks and I'll update the post from time to time as to the results.

Cheers from an old man,

·
Registered
623 Posts
Using Poli Glow for years, makes my 28 yr. beige hull look new.
Best results when I strip off and reapply every year or 2.
Big factor for me is that I am not compounding my hull every
year making gel coat more porous (and effectively removing/wearing out gel coat over time)
Biggest downside is, I have to touch up/reapply were bow wave wears off after 300-400 plus mile cruise....10 minutes.
Now if i could only find something for my deck.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
POLY GLOW

BEFORE you use it, I strongly suggest that you do some THOROUGH research.

I mean THOROUGH.

Use Google, and read across lots of boating forums, including this one, sailboatowners.com and others.

You will be surprised that the easy on doesn't always mean long lasting.

It's your boat, your choice, but I'd sure hate to see you take only ONE guy's word for it, when there are so many varied opinions about it.'

What's your alternate? See Maine Sail's How to Wax your boat article, here on this forum and at sailboatowners, too.

I would not recommend Poly Glow to my worst enemy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've used Poli Glow for 8 years now and have recommended it to several friends, all with out hesitation and regret. I have done the MaineSail routine on a pervious boat...and it looked great too...but was quite a bit more work. Following the instructions I haven't had an issue with Poli Glow...both in application, or longevity. I did my research, read the horror stories and rolled the dice. I've been very pleased so far with the results...and I get compliments on my boat.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I've used Poli Glow for 8 years now and have recommended it to several friends, all with out hesitation and regret. I have done the MaineSail routine on a pervious boat...and it looked great too...but was quite a bit more work. Following the instructions I haven't had an issue with Poli Glow...both in application, or longevity. I did my research, read the horror stories and rolled the dice. I've been very pleased so far with the results...and I get compliments on my boat.
Do you have any idea what might be the cause of most people's issues? Applying too thick? I have used for years a product on my cars called Klasse a synthetic product along the lines of Poly Glow, though it is not a no buff formula. There are lots of folks who use it without issue, but others that hate it and had issues with streaking. It is a bear to take off completely but is only an issue before painting. But the biggest issue is putting it on too thick, this causes both streaking and seems to contribute to shorter life.

There are other synthetic products but most will require buffing. I have had good luck with both Conolite (a blend of carnubia and polymers) and Finish Care. Both should give season long performance but will require polishing before application and buffing after.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.