SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
12,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading on a 10-12 day trip down the Chessie in a few weeks. Port Charles, Fishing Creek- Pianatank , Yorktown are penciled in stops .

Looking for a few hidden gems also. How about Indian Creek and Kilmarnock. Anyone been? Recommendations?

Reactions: kd3pc

·
Sailor
924 Posts
Indian Creek is lovely, highly rated! While I haven't done it, I would think Kilmarnock is a nice place to stop and walk around. What is really special is the Rappahannock Oyster Tasting Room at at Merrior. That was fabulous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'd rather go a little further up the Rappahannock and pull into Urbanna. It's a smaller town than Kilmarnock but your boat is right there, either at the town dock or anchored in the harbor.

·
12,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our last trip down we went to Urbana. Nice place and a one light town
Ate at "Something Different" the last Neanderthal restaurant. ( we saved a coaster from it that said that
Actually we were maroon for 4 days there as a tropical storm kept us in place. Over the winter the marina we stayed in had a terrific fire
Liked. Urbana and the homemade ice cream from Something Different
Good recommendation..looking for something new for us.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Indian Creek is ok but for really great anchorages I would recommend the Corrotoman River up the Rappahannock. Great swimming and clean water. As of last week, still no jellies.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Reedville is nice and has generally, better dinner options. Nice museum and a good ice cream shop.. There is the fishy smell to offset the otherwise great location, but a good place to visit, none-the-less.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Reedville is nice and has generally, better dinner options. Nice museum and a good ice cream shop.. There is the fishy smell to offset the otherwise great location, but a good place to visit, none-the-less.
I like Reedville a lot and don't have any problems with any fish smell.
FWIW, the Morris Haynie house next door to the ice cream shop, used to be my grandparents home, from the mid 30's to mid 50's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, Reedville. Good restaurants, ice cream at Chitterchats, and the Reedville Fishermen's Museum with our skipjack and buyboat as well as the exhibits! Great small American town.

Gerhard
Captain, Claud W. Somers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yes, Reedville. Good restaurants, ice cream at Chitterchats, and the Reedville Fishermen's Museum with our skipjack and buyboat as well as the exhibits! Great small American town.
Tommy's is a nice restaurant, but we usually eat at the Crazy Crab. Been a while but we have eaten over at Fairport a few times as well. More that a few ice cones at Chitterchats. The museum is small but worth a look. My granddad is listed there as a captain with the Menhaden fleet.

·
12,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been to Reedville 3 times. Two great experiences....one where we picked up and moved when the wind shifted in the middle of the night as the smell was unbearable.

We are looking for a new experience and place to visit on this trip....was why I inquiring about Kilmarnock.

I appreciate all the replies.

Our itinerary ( not set in stone) is Solomon's.- anchor in Mill Creek ..Prentice Creek.anchor ...Cape Charles -2 nights in a slip.....Yorktown....three nights in a slip and a 35. Dollar a day SUV rental to go to Jamestown and revisit the Maritome Museum with the Monitor in Newport News and also the new Yorktown museum now that it's open. ....Fishing Bay (Pianatank) ..two nights at anchor."....Indian Creek.( Kilmarnock) ..two nights in a slip...Coan River on the Potomac anchor......St Mary's River ...anchor.....Solomon's.....2nights at anchor.....San Domingo Creek...2 nights at anchor ( or one and one at Oxford) then back to the barn. Approx 15-18 days

Plenty of built in extra days. Enough places to pull into a cheap slip ( for air conditioning) should the weather get too hot to be comfortable

The plan is still very flexible with only Cape Charles and Yorktown as givens.

Trip down the Bay is in 45 miles increments for three days then 20-25 jaunts each leg after.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts