SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
602 Posts
I've got the Indigo 3 blade prop on my 1975 Newport 28 with the A4. I have no experience with any other prop, so I don't really have anything to compare it with, but I like the performance I get from it.

I have a fin keel, but I can still back into my slip without any hideous propwalk; a few bursts of reverse is usually enough to get me moving to the point where the rudder can overcome it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Indigo Atomic 4 Prop

Replaced a really good racing folding prop that would not reverse with the indigo. It works very well on my Morgan 30. A lot depends on the distance between the keel and the prop. All propellers need water and if it is too close to the keel, then odd cavitation and other flow problems may occur. Seems to be a very good prop around 2000 RPM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A friend of mine installed an Indigo on a C+C 30 with an A-4 and it definately improved the performance and handling. However, on the last haulout, after 2seasons in the water, there was'nt much left to the prop. The galvanic corossion had taken 3/4 inch off each blade end and riddled the rest with holes. He hadn't installed shaft zincs as suggested by Indigo to eliminate propeller barnacle growth by allowing a small galvanic reaction to zap them away. After spending a winter in the water at a marina locally known for its stray electric current, and with his boats internally bonded grounding system between engine and thru-hulls, the electrical current apparently entered his thru-hulls and exitted thru the prop taking most of it away. To Indigo's credit, they offered him a new prop for 1/2 price and he thought highly enough of it's performance to buy another.
So, the new prop also has a pair of new shaft zincs to keep it company.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've heard good things from other friends with A4s using this prop as well as the CDI. I'm thinking of changing to one too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
dhm001,

Do I understand you to say that the Indigo reduced your RPM? I was hoping that it would increase the RPM's. With my two blade on a Pearson 35 I get 6 knots at 1500 or so, too slow an engine speed I think, and would like to get 6 knots at maybe 2200 to take advantage of the better power curve at the higher RPM. What did you have before?

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts